Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Selling models on Unity Asset Store, Cubebrush, etc.

Whatever doesn't fit in the above categories. Extra points for keeping it SFW and politics free.
Basajaun

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 pm

I've changed the orientation so it matches the Unity specifications.
Sendoa Bergasa - 3D Artist
Artstation | Facebook | LinkedIn
Basajaun

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 pm

The Tavor SAR is finally in the Unity Asset Store!!! :icon_partyparrot_e:

Due to having to add the demo scene and the prefabs, the package does not look as "clean" as I would have wanted but it is what it is. Feel free to check tha page SBG AR21 and give me some feedback regarding the presentation and such, it will be very helpful for future submissions.

Thank you guys :victory:
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 am

That's awesome! Well done. The presentation looks pretty good, I really like the multiple colour screenshot. :3Dlove: :thumbsup_dude:
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
Tim
Site Admin

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Awesome mate! I ll spread the word for your gun on there to some of the people I think would be interested having it :) Did you already make a sale?
Basajaun

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks so much Tim, I appreciate that! No, nobody has bought the Tavor SAR yet but to be honest, I have no expectations for this particular model. The purpose of submitting it was mostly to test the waters and see how the whole submission process works. I might do better with the other weapons in which I've put much more time and effort. That's my hope anyway.
Tim
Site Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:11 pm

I mentioned it to one guy and he said he wants to get it. It would end up in that project then (side by side next to my guns :D ) , I am sure you will get more sales. It's just that the marketplace is so crowded its hard being discovered. Might wanna make some posts in social media groups and maybe on polycount etc to spread the word.
Basajaun

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Hey guys, back from THU! Still a lot of catching up to do but just wanted to share the good news, this last week I've had 4 sales :monkeydance:
Tim wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:11 pm
I mentioned it to one guy and he said he wants to get it. It would end up in that project then (side by side next to my guns :D ) , I am sure you will get more sales. It's just that the marketplace is so crowded its hard being discovered. Might wanna make some posts in social media groups and maybe on polycount etc to spread the word.
Thank you man, I'm pretty sure that those four sales would have not happend had you not spread the word. I need to do some research to find out forums and/or communities where potential customers might hang out, indie developer sites and so on. I was a bit concerned with going around spamming, but I just noticed that people actually do advertise their stuff in both polycount and the Unity forums so I will do the same right away. I'm also planing on building a website on facebook for advertising and support purposes.
thirteen

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:11 am

How do you decide what price to charge for your models? I'm guessing you just look at other similar models and keep it close?
Basajaun

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:23 pm

I think there is also a chart. I can't remember if it's in the guidelines or somewhere else but yes, generally speaking I think looking at the price of similar models is the best thing to do.
Basajaun

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi, I'm back at the arms dealing business :D

In preparation for putting the weapon set for sale, I decided to use my IWI Tavor SAR (now renamed as SBG AR556 to avoid problems) to test the waters. I first tried in the Unreal Marketplace and it was immediately rejected, unlike the Unity Asset Store it's not enough to avoid copyrighted logos and trademarks, they don't allow replicas of real-world designs at all. So unless it's a model based on an original design, the marketplace is a not an option apparently. Next I tried CGtrader and Gumroad, as Tim suggested. The process in those two sites is a los simpler than the asset store or the marketplace so they seem like a better option. I don't know in terms of expossure how well they'll do but I've already sold a model on CGTrader so, so far so good. Finally, I put it on the ArtStation Marketplace, I'm not expecting to have a lot of sales here but I wanted to test theis new feature they've recently added. The process is as simple as in Gumroad and CGtrader, so it's a good option since it won't take much time to put a model there.

I also setup a website in facebook SBG3D for rpomotional and support purposes. I tried to add the model to my store in the page but it was blocked by facebook because it goes against their "no weapon selling" policy, which seems ridiculousto me since we are not talking about a real thing, it's a CG asset for video games. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do about it so I will have to simply link to my Gumroad and/or ArtStation pages.

So this would be the summary of my latest adventures in my quest to sell my 3D models online, I hope it can help others who are thinking about selling their assets. If there are any doubts or questions feel free to ask them.