Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Substance Baking Issue

ChamferZone tutorials exclusive: In case your stuck, have questions or feedback.
artaquatics

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:54 am

Hello there,
I'm new to the forum, but I've been working on Tims "Rhino mech tutorial" and have made it up until the texturing mech video, where i get a baking error on the vehicle body itself. (but not on the attachments.)
I've double checked to make sure my naming conventions are correct (_low and _high) etc. But with no luck, my body maps are still baking black, while the attachment maps don't seem to have an issue.
I've attached the files I'm working with here

I'm sure it's just a case of being a noob when it comes to this sort of thing, but any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

3ds max scene file

High Poly

Low poly
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:39 pm

Hey there :)

My time is a bit limited at the moment so I couldn't go very in-depth to check it out, but there were 2 things I noticed which cause all the maps turn black:

1: The pivot points of the lowpoly & highpoly should match 100%, if these are not aligned properly your bakes don't turn out as expected. But as you mentioned the attachments bake fine, I'm not sure if this is the real issue because these objects also have different pivot points...still: Worth mentioning as it's best to align those pivots & geo correctly :)
2: I noticed that the unwrap of the body parts are all outside of the 0-1 UV space. This also results in black texture maps as only the information inside the 0-1 space will be considered ;)

After I adjusted this (well...not for the whole mech, just the main body part) I got some baking information on the model.
However, there were still quite some artifacts and right now I'm unfortunately unable to check it out :(

I'd suggest to check the things I mentioned above and see if you can find out where the artifacts come from, I hope this helped regarding the black maps issue :enlightened:
artaquatics

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Laggtastic wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:39 pm
Hey there :)

My time is a bit limited at the moment so I couldn't go very in-depth to check it out, but there were 2 things I noticed which cause all the maps turn black:

1: The pivot points of the lowpoly & highpoly should match 100%, if these are not aligned properly your bakes don't turn out as expected. But as you mentioned the attachments bake fine, I'm not sure if this is the real issue because these objects also have different pivot points...still: Worth mentioning as it's best to align those pivots & geo correctly :)
2: I noticed that the unwrap of the body parts are all outside of the 0-1 UV space. This also results in black texture maps as only the information inside the 0-1 space will be considered ;)

After I adjusted this (well...not for the whole mech, just the main body part) I got some baking information on the model.
However, there were still quite some artifacts and right now I'm unfortunately unable to check it out :(

I'd suggest to check the things I mentioned above and see if you can find out where the artifacts come from, I hope this helped regarding the black maps issue :enlightened:

thank you very much for your time, I'll definitely give it your suggestions a try and see if i can weed out those artifacts too.
Will let you know how it goes down!
thanks! :)