Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Need HELP!!! Baking issues AKM

ChamferZone tutorials exclusive: In case your stuck, have questions or feedback.
AliXandru

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 am

Hi everyone!
I just started 3D modeling a couple of months ago and recently i found Tim's tutorials that are SUPER WOW, I learned a lot.

I finished modeling the AKM and exported the files for substance painter to bake the maps.
I baked them but i have this problem, please help me.

Thank you!
Attachments
Baking_issues_akm.jpg
Baking_issues_akm.jpg (79.26 KiB) Viewed 367 times
AliXandru

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:49 am

Nobody knows, what may be the problem?
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi Alixandru :) ,

As I can only judge it by these 2 screenshots, it's kinda hard to tell where the issue comes from...as some other parts look good :thinking:
I'm curious to see your unwrap & baking settings, also be sure to check if your lowpoly & highpoly match up in your 3D scene (if they are in the same position).

In addition, not sure if you noticed: On the top-left area of the image where the sightleaf is, it seems that you have some flipped faces there where the hole is of that sight-block ,
correct me if I'm wrong though ^^
AliXandru

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:05 am

I can attache the file containg the LP and HP meshes and maybe you got time to take a look.
I used the baking settings that Tim uses in the tut.

Thank you!
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Hey there :)

Unfortunately I can't open the file as you seem to be using a newer version of 3Ds Max, could you please save a copy of your file as a 3Ds Max 2016 file? :)
AliXandru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:28 pm

Sure

Laggtastic
Site Admin

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Thanks for posting this version, I took a look and strange enough I didn't have to change any settings other than I usually use :thinking:
I export my highpoly objects as FBX these days (make sure to uncheck Turbosmooth in the FBX export panel, I also unchecked smoothin groups), and I get this result:

One advice regarding the highpoly models of the handguard objects: You turned on the "Smoothing groups" checkbox in the Turbosmooth; This kinda blocks the highpoly feel to the object as the highpoly object will appear quite sharp actually. I unchecked this before exporting as fbx to get the desired results. Here is a screencap of that checkbox I'm talking about:

So as things turned out fine here, I'm not sure what is going wrong :O As you mention all the baking settings are set up the correct way (you also checked the checkbox for Average Normals right?) I can't really see what the problem is in this case :icon_eek:
AliXandru

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:22 am

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, i have tried what you said to export the mesh on the FBX file format with the tubosmooth unchecked and it work properly!

So thank you so much Laggtastic for the help and for making time to look at my issue!

This is the final result: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/q41bz (I know that is not perfect, but for my first big project I am glad how it turned out)
I am also wating for feedback :D