Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Chamfer Modifier Issues

ChamferZone tutorials exclusive: In case your stuck, have questions or feedback.
Captain512

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:23 pm

Hello!

Really enjoying the tutorial so far but I've run into a couple issues. I'm doing the Mech Tutorial - 3ds Max 2017. I'm using 3ds Max 2019. I'm using the tutorial on Gumroad.

First, main issue, on video #2 at 42:00 into the video Tim applies the Chamfer and Turbosmooth modifier to a part of the mech. In the video, when he increases the amount of the chamfer so you can see ALL the edges chamfering on the object.

My issue is that when I duplicate the same process, some of the edges are left unchamfered. Most around the edges are chamfered fine but some on the open face area, bottom, and top go completely untouched. I can only replicate the result he gets if I change my drop down choice under Input Options -> From Smoothing -> "OFF". If I keep the drop down with "UNSMOOTHED EDGES" I don't get the result he does. I've included some pictures below.
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (78.08 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (109.5 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (81.54 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (104.14 KiB) Viewed 137 times
The first two pictures are if I keep "unsmoothed edges" (you can also see the opening at the top having issues rounding some corners). The second two pics are if I change that option to "off".

One other thing, I had to change the min. angle setting toggle to "off" because the open area at the top of that object, and some of the "vents" that were made on other parts of the mech were rounding their edges with the chamfer modifier (see the two pics below). I could only keep the squared if I turn min. angle off.
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (150.78 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Capture6.PNG
Capture6.PNG (147.21 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Just some background. I've only been working on 3ds Max a couple months. Done a few other courses on udemy, just found Gumroad recently. So I'm very much a Novice working up to Intermediate level.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP YALL CAN GIVE!!!