Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Proboolean Problem (Blade Tutorial)

ChamferZone tutorials exclusive: In case your stuck, have questions or feedback.
Refetizm

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:48 am

Hi everyone, I bought Chamfer's Blade Tutorial. I have a problem about proboolean. I made upper teeths with proboolean. After that i tried to make lower teeths but whenever i try to make teeths with proboolean, it doesn't work. Can someone fix my problem?
Attachments
Blade.zip
(156.05 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Hey there ! :)

I can't open your file as I use 3Ds Max 2016, it seems your file was made with a newer version so I have to guess a bit now^^

Something you could try, is after you collapsed the boolean of the upper teeth (so that you're back into Editable Poly object),
is to apply a reset xform to your model + collapse that before applying the new boolean operation for the lower teeth. Be sure to save your file as a new increment just in case anything goes wrong. ;)

I don't dare to say that this is the cause / solution, but it's worth a try :enlightened: For me personally this is usually the first thing I do when things don't work properly/don't work at all in situations like this^^
Let us know if this does the trick, otherwise feel free to share your file as a 2016 version and I'd be happy to check it out whenever I have the time :thumbsup_dude:
Refetizm

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:08 am

I've added 2016 version. Thank you soo much :)
Attachments
Blade(2016).zip
(158.27 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Hey there :)

I found some time to check out your model, and at first I had the same results; The objects disappear.
It's a fairly known problem of the proboolean, at least for what I heard that is... :icon_eek:

It can be caused by the way the topology is right now; I noticed that I had to weld quite some vertices; There was also a little hole close to where the first hole would come on the grip-side.
Be sure to weld those vertices^^ In addition; You're boolean-cylinders still had the Proboolean modifier on top so I just converted them back to editable poly.

On both objects I applied a Reset Xform & collapsed those, but perhaps this won't even be required. It's just a habit that I have whenever anything strange is going on.
Finally, I used the slice plane (you can also simply add an extra edgeloop manually) to add an extra loop which allowed me to detach the area where the holes would come.

And that worked for me as you can see :) After the boolean operation you can collapse it back/convert it to editable poly again and weld the pieces back together ;)
Refetizm

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:14 am

Hi again :)

Could you please upload the fixed file ? :)
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Hey there :)

Well usually when I do these things I don't save the files to be honest, I try to keep my folders clean in terms of files that I work in temporary^^
Also from the learning perspective it's best to try it yourself, as that's the best way to learn fixing things :) In case anything that I described was unclear, please let me know and I'll explain it more in-depth if you wish :icon_thumbsfallout: