Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

-Mech Tutorial- Black Maps on Substance when baking

ChamferZone tutorials exclusive: In case your stuck, have questions or feedback.
SolraC

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi,

When I do the baking in Substance for the body of the Mech the maps appear black but only the ones for the body not the for the attachments. I have doiuble checked on 3ds max that the names where matching and they do. Do you have an idea on why is this happening, its pretty much the first time that I'm using Substance and I feel quite lost. I'm using Substance Painter 2.6.1

Thanks so much for the help
Tim
Site Admin

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:10 am

Hello SolraC!

Did you make sure you applied TWO materials within Max? Make sure you select the body parts of the lowpoly, open material editor and assign a random material that you can call MECH BODY (for example) and then the attachments and assign another material called MECH ATTACHMENTS or something like that. After that it should bake fine! :)
SolraC

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:15 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for the quick reply, I have made sure that 2 different materials have been apllied and they are. I have attached a screenshot from Substance. So I went back to 3ds max and reassigned again the Materials and after exporting it and open it again on Substance the same issue persist. I'm sure I have maybe made a noob mistake since I'm pretty new to both softwares.
Regards,

Carlos (SolraC)
Attachments
Substance_Mech_Body.jpg
Substance_Mech_Body.jpg (314.79 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Stas Mikhailov

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am

Did you double check that you are using "By Mesh Name" Match method?
What about the normals? and position in the scene? Reset XForm utility maybe?
SolraC

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:38 am

Hi Stas,

Thanks for the comment I have been checkecing and I can't find the problem all seems to be in the same position and so do the normals, I did again a check with XForm to make sure. Also I did check that I was using "By Mesh name" in Substance.

I will continue to investigate, I'm sure I made a mistake somewhere

Cheers :)
Tim
Site Admin

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Hey Carlos, odd.. can you please upload your high and lowpoly files that you exported?
You can PM me the link (google drive for example). I will take a look at this after work hours :)
Tim
Site Admin

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:52 pm

Hello Carlos!
So.. I imported both your low and highpoly and what happens is that the scaling is wrong.
That will not bake correctly.

In your 3Ds Max scene are both the low and highpoly the same size? Try unhiding them both and apply reset x form to them, see if anything weird is going on.
If you can't find the solution then you can also upload me your 3dsmax scene with both low and highpoly in it because then the highpoly is not already collapsed down and it's easier to see what's going on :)

Other then that it looks great you did everything right, just something off with the scale.
SolraC

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:50 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for having a look at it. On my scenes in max they both have the same size (I have attached a screenshot). I will upload the scene to Drive and if you can have a look let me know. Thanks so much for your time.

Regards,

Carlos
Attachments
3ds max scene.jpg
3ds max scene.jpg (335.59 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
Tim
Site Admin

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Hey Carlos! Ahhh I did not check your UV's yesterday but now I see what the problem is..

Your Body UV's are out of the UV space. That means its empty, nothing can bake on it.
It's annoying but you have to fix that, I see you already have some parts pushed out of the way by +1 (the shared parts).
But when I look at some of the pieces it appears they are not in the exact same space as the UV's you did (on the right.. that need to be pushed back into the UV space).

So long story short, go back to the unwrapping part for this and fix the body UV's. It's annoying but that's all there is left to do before you can start baking, texturing.

SolraC

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:44 am

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much. Working on it right now. Can't really thank you enough for taking the time :)

Cheers,

Carlos