Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

N-Gons Special - Triangles, Quads & N-Gons in hard surface modeling - 3Ds Max 2017

All ChamferZone releases in one place.
Frostie

Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:24 pm

Tim wrote:Thanks Frostie, that was just an older model I picked to showcase the N-Gon topic. I have no intention to redo the whole thing 1:1 for a tutorial.
When it comes to weapons I certainly have some future plans in store though. Not 100% decided yet. :)

Oh okay, just thought you already had one done because there stand AR15_tutorial as filename. :D For the future maybe you have still my suggestion in mind in let us voting the final tutorial object :P
German ArmA Community member. https://www.artstation.com/artist/frostie
brana92

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi Tim, great stuff. I wonder what your shader in this video looks like.
When I add normal map into standard bump slot, I can't see any of details (it's to weak). All I wont is in the 3ds max, preview like yours. :)

P.S. In other applications like marmoset and substance preview is flawless, except max viewport

keep it up with awesome info!

Cheers!
Tim
Site Admin

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi Brana! Welcome to the forum and glad you like the tutorials :)

Here is how you can display normal maps in 3Ds Max.

Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/X4IcLkY.jpg
brana92

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks a lot :)
keyangke520

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:34 am

Hi Tim, well said. This article make me understand more! I am new to 3d modelling, and following your AKM tutorial now. When you show the steps of refinement the lines of lowpoly model, I do not understand how you judge the line can be removed or not. Could you talk about the reason behind it ? Hope you understand my poor english :icon_lol: Thanks a lot!
Tim
Site Admin

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 pm

Hey there mate, can you link me to the position in the video where I do that? Otherwise I am not sure what part you mean :thinking:
Emmanuele

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:44 pm

First of all, you rule mate!
I hope that you will soon make other new tutorials, but I have just one crucial question about N-gons, If I do a test for a company in the game industry, I can use N-gons ?
Or it's better to have a perfect quad topology.

Thx and take care
Tim
Site Admin

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Hey Emmanuele, of course you can use ngons. Just don't use them where it doesn't make sense. So the bottom line should always be.. use as many quads as possible but don't ever hesitate to make Ngons or triangle connections in cases where otherwise you just add a whole bunch of unnecessary polygons for the sake of having quads. You always wanna make sure to be as optimized as possible and ngons enable you to do that AND lead up to a cleaner mesh if otherwise you would just add loop after loop in order to have all quads.

What counts is the end result, the lowpoly with the baked normal map on top. If that comes out nice then you are good to go and Ngons are not in the way of that. Remember the highpoly will always be all quads because of the turbosmooth on top that quadifies all our geometry :) This + smoothing groups based on our uv islands will guaranteed result in a nice bake. :icon_teach:
cowolfox

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:17 am

Hi Tim,Thank you for the Great Tutorial.

I working use the 3dsMax and UE4 Engine, in UE4 a lot of N-Gons will make the problem(I don't know it's all of the N-Gons),they can import to the Engine but the N-Gons are just disappeared.

I don't know is my workflow something wrong Or In UE4 must everything be Triangles/Quads ?
Tim
Site Admin

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:08 pm

cowolfox wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:17 am
Hi Tim,Thank you for the Great Tutorial.

I working use the 3dsMax and UE4 Engine, in UE4 a lot of N-Gons will make the problem(I don't know it's all of the N-Gons),they can import to the Engine but the N-Gons are just disappeared.

I don't know is my workflow something wrong Or In UE4 must everything be Triangles/Quads ?
Hey cowolfox, glad you like the tutorial but.. impossible to make a guess on what could be the cause for it. Did you try what happens if you make some more connections, does it start showing then?
I am not even sure I understand the problem correctly, parts of your geometry are disappearing?