Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

High Poly Special - how to create the perfect hard surface High Poly model - 3Ds Max 2017

All ChamferZone releases in one place.
Tim
Site Admin

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Learn how to use smoothing groups in combination with the Chamfer and Turbosmooth modifier to create the perfect high poly hard surface model.

The_Time_Burner

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:46 am

Watched it! Learned a lot. Though,I still feel incompetent if I can manage to do the workflow of baking a high poly mesh into a low poly mesh. It's a fault in my part that I lack motivation to do it and my hardware cant handle much load in baking high res and running substance painter.
Tim
Site Admin

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:12 am

Glad to read its being useful.

About your hardware, yeah 3D modeling is demanding. Better save for some new hardware :)

Also... with that workflow you can actually save a lot in the polycount.
Your tank has quite the high polycount, with this method you can get away often by just adding 2 turbosmooth iterations.
It'll be perfectly fine for the bake.
turbosmooth

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi Tim,

First of all, I cannot express how grateful I am for your fantastic series of tutorials :icon_clap: Many, many thanks!

On the other hand, is there an official date for the UV & Unwrapping tutorial? :D
Tim
Site Admin

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Hello Turbosmooth! (great name :D )

Thank you I am happy to hear it and well usually I just crank out these special episodes in one day (vs the actual tutorials which take much longer).
I can not say exactly when I get to do it, I still need to think about all the stuff I really want to put in that episode and prepare an object that is worthwhile showcasing it but I'll try to have both the UV and the baking vids out within the next two weeks :icon_sunny:
turbosmooth

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Great news! I am looking forward to it :icon_sunny:
OldSalty

Wed May 03, 2017 6:04 am

How to solve these issues with Boolean and Quad Chamfer:

If boolean cut a cube shape from into this cube the turbo smooth is bad.

Then I add some cuts to make it not ngon and it is still bad.

Then I turn off the quad intersections, it is the best result i can get, but there is still some pinching in the corners.

How do you make this work, am I using the quad chamfer plugin correctly?
Tim
Site Admin

Thu May 04, 2017 12:05 am

Hi OldSalty, welcome to the forum and to answer your questions.

You are using it the right way but what you can do to get rid of it is to add some extra support edges.

For example:

First one is like you have it, second one has some support loops around which is quick to do by just making an inset.
Basically you can select all faces aside from the cutout hole and make an inset to achieve this.

Result.. first one shows a bit of pinching, second one doesn't.

The quad chamfer modifier is a great help to get some support edges in place with little effort but we will still have to do a few extra slices and loops here and there to "support" the highpoly.
Aside from that you are certainly using it in the right way :)
OldSalty

Thu May 04, 2017 1:31 am

Thanks mate, I have been doing some research ever since I posted this and I found the double turbo smooth technique with one turbo smooth set to use smoothing groups.

Also I have to have the sharpness of the quad chamfer set to 1.00

now i have minimal number of tris for the low poly and create perfect rounded edges with modifiers for the high.

I have been using blender for years, but have never been able to achieve a strictly modifier based low poly - high poly workflow. This usually always requires some sort of manual clean up. Even using Zbrush Dynamesh and polish technique, does not achieve results this clean.

Cheers.
Tim
Site Admin

Thu May 04, 2017 1:53 am

That is a very good idea with the turbosmooth under neath. Sometimes you may run into some trouble if you have a very complicated mesh but it is an elegant way of adding extra edge loops without having to add them by hand. Thanks for sharing it! That workflow is certainly awesome for being very flexible/adjustable on the fly.