Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Time vs. reality

All ChamferZone releases in one place.
Tim
Site Admin

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:42 pm

Hey everyone,

I wanted to explain a bit my lack of contribution lately. It might be a bit of a long read but just so you know. :icon_partyparrot_e:

When I first released the tutorials I was hyped beyond all levels and... the fact is I still am! I love to see that people are benefiting from them and praising them. It's what makes all the long hours put into them worth it. The downside when having a business that is within the tutorial/learning field is that a lot of people have questions, comments, just want to show proudly their work or give feedback to me personally as the guy that instructed them. That is great but it also has a downside to it which I want to explain here a bit. But before that, let me take a step back to the past, like 2 years ago: The idea of the forum was born because I got so many messages on Facebook and it wasn't a sufficient platform anymore to answer all the questions. The forum made and still makes for a much better place to answer questions in depth.

The more the forum grew it was also a good idea to have a WIP section and a hall of fame (or showcase whatever we want to call it) as well as plenty others. Long story short things are still growing. People follow the tutorials, free and paid ones (as well as pirated ones ;) ) and the amount of questions, feedback and comments I get, often always the same ones, build up in front of me like a mountain. On top of that I have a partnership in China with yiihuu.com and they ask me to join in to the chat they setup for me to speak to the students there.

What I am getting at is that I am beyond overwhelmed with the amount of work to talk to all of you. Let me just tell you the places where I (should) always answer questions had I the time for it:
CGTrader, Unity Marketplace, Unreal Marketplace, Steam, Sketchfab, Artstation, Yiihuu.com, Facebook, youtube, emails and least but not last the forum. (and there are a whole bunch of them everyday)
I do these tutorials in my spare time, only in the evenings after work hours and I am also a married man. I wish so much I had the time to answer to each and anyone of you but it turned into a mission impossible overtime and I feel very bad for that.

I want to maintain the good spirit and I am so glad we have a community established here in the forum where I don't have to be on the lookout to answer questions alone. Special thanks to our awesome and super talented admins! I am super thankful for that and I hope we can keep this going. I just don't want anyone to feel that I ignore them if I don't get back to you. I try my best to get back to you but it might take some time.

There will be more tutorials coming and I love the fact that people regard them as something that benefits them. Youtube let me know that people from every country on the earth have been viewing the youtube channel already, no kidding! Each country represented.. it's awesome guys and I love you all but in order to keep this going I just won't be able to answer to anyone all the time. I hope you can understand that.

So bottom line: for anyone reading that who hasn't signed up to the forum yet and may have questions. The most important thing for me is to answer the tutorial specific questions and that's what I will uphold: checking the tutorial related questions section here on the forum at least once or two times a week. I will also of course not forget the other sections but I may not be able to answer each post

Thanks for reading, sorry for the whining but I hope you understand, Tim
Also: Keep this awesome stuff coming. 3D Art = love ! I see so much cool stuff on here all the time it's super inspirational. :icon_thumbsfallout: :icon_atombomb:
Damiano

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:28 pm

everyone of us can understand that and relate to it more or less Tim :) so dont worry :D people who are currently on discord they are more than helpful to each other. truth to be told your tutorials are amazing way to start the long journey with 3ds max . and what i can tell on my own example they do help a lot and are easy to follow. so from the bottom of our hearts we will always support you however we can :)
:icon_partyparrot_a: :icon_partyparrot_a: :icon_partyparrot_a: :icon_partyparrot_a: :icon_partyparrot_d: :icon_partyparrot_d: :icon_partyparrot_d: :icon_partyparrot_d:
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Hey Tim!

Everything you do is completely understandable. Being the one and only person responsible for these tutorials and managing everyone's questions on feedback across the globe is a bigger job than anyone can handle.

I could recommend is funnelling your responses more towards the forum and the discord. There's a bunch of admins and dedicated users that are more than happy to give out a helping hand. And of course, with a smaller load for you to deal with, the more time you can spend on your own personal stuff ( including tutorials ;) )

Of course there is another thing. You could set up an FAQ for your tutorials. It's long overdue for something like that, plenty of common issues arise for certain tutorials that I think could really be fixed in an automated fashion with a quick link to an FAQ, but of course it's your decision. If you feel like personal feedback is the way you want to go then no one can blame you.

Whatever you do, just know that you've set up a great community here. It's not gigantic where every small user and their work mean nothing, and it's not tiny where it has no name in the 3D world. It's just right. :coolpartyparrot:
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
CharlieOsa

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 pm

Hey Tim! Great to hear from you, I hope all things are fine for you man (if you are busy, I presume they are! :victory: :victory: )
I am sure everybody here understand that you are a busy man. I totally feel you when you say that you wish to have time to contribute more .
Shut out to your amazing admins !

p.s For me, no matter when new tutorial will be released, I will be up for it! :icon_thumbsfallout:
My Artstation

"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories" - Sun Tzu
CharlieOsa

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:50 pm

Whatever you do, just know that you've set up a great community here.
siks wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 pm
It's not gigantic where every small user and their work mean nothing, and it's not tiny where it has no name in the 3D world. It's just right. :coolpartyparrot:
Well said :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My Artstation

"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories" - Sun Tzu
RedlChris-_-
Site Admin

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:49 am

Hey Tim,
I can understand you as well! I think that is a sign, that we as a community should help each other even more to support you and take away some work for you. Because as you said, often the answers are not that hard to answer, especially, if the answers are coming from beginners in the 3D field.
Hope you find more time in the future, because everyone is waiting desperately for your amazing tutorials. :icon_vince:
Greetings,
Christoph
Get better everyday. Love the GRIND, the EARLY MORNINGS and LATE NIGHTS.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/christophredl
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChristophRedl94
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Hey Tim, gonna keep my text a little short here, but it will do the trick :)
Time is a big thing, sometimes bigger than we can even imagine which affects the actual reality (you really nailed the title of this topic man :ok: )

Just like the others, I totally fully understand I'm sure that anyone would understand. It's quite a list of places you have to check from time to time, so no doubt that it all takes a lot of your (free) time to check all that :icon_eek: . Just like the other admins and users I'm also happy to help when I can (also I have that time-issue from time to time as you know) but I'll try my best :icon_partyparrot_e:
Tim
Site Admin

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks guys for all the great feedback! :parrotsailor:

I appreciate it very much and I look forward getting the ball back to rolling again. I talked about it with Diana (my wife :icon_sunny: ) and basically instead of sticking the head in the sand which I did too much lately the plan is to concentrate feedback and general commenting at least twice a week to the forum. Right now I thinkTuesdays and Thursdays make for a good timeframe but I'll see what works best so that might vary a bit. I'll also try to answer Facebook messages and YouTube comments in this time so bare with me :thumbsup_dude:

Also as some already pointed out a FAQ section makes a lot of sense. Feel free to post anything you notice gets asked a lot and I ll add it to the top collection posts :hamster_dance:

Meanwhile I started working on the next free tutorial which will be the BB9E drone from Star Wars. It makes for some very interesting spherical modelling and I hope to have it done anytime soon. Thanks everyone and keep up the great work!
hi-man

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Hey teacher!
You do not have to worry about these things! You deserve a monument in your honor for all the tutorials and help. I still feel uncomfortable with the fact that I've been bombarding you with a bunch of noob questions about a year ago when i started to learn 3d :icon_redface: I often see the same questions here in the forum. Sometimes I really want to explain everything in detail but it's hard for me to do this and it takes a very long time since English is not my native language :( Collecting all the most frequent questions in one accessible place should help very much!
Still waiting for the enviroment tutorial...yes yes i know! =)
carlos.war

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:59 am

Hi Tim i think that apart from creating something incredible that are your tutorials you have created this community that is magestic. in a few places you can see new artists and they just start interacting so closely with great artists like you I feel very lucky to be part of this community although I contribute very little but I have learned a lot of new things thanks to all of you plus the knowledge of practical life. Anyone who can help with anything even though I am commenting on what I can do. It is true that time never reaches us for everything we want to do but I also believe that it is part of the magic of being human beings.. thanks a lot :thumbsup_dude: :thumbsup_dude: :thumbsup_dude: :thumbsup_dude: :thumbsup_dude: :hamster_dance: :hamster_dance: (you dont have to reply)