Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Free ChamferZone things - where did they go?

All ChamferZone releases in one place.
Tim
Site Admin

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:12 am

Hi everyone, :icon_partyparrot_top:

as some of you know I have free tutorials and 3D Assets on various different places ready for download.
Today I decided to charge a dollar on all places for it with one exception and that is my:

>> Public google drive <<

To explain a bit why I did that.. the reason is that places such as Gumroad charge me money the more 'clients' I get. The way they word it is.. we grow with you as your business grows. :icon_alert:

A client is any person that downloads something there and it just so happens that a huge portion out of that are people that just download the free stuff and thus getting added to my client list that I have to pay for. While I am overall happy with the sales, it cost me between 40 to 80 Dollar each week only on Gumroad alone as fees.

Long story short I decided to put a lock in front of that by having a 1 dollar price tag on every formerly free product.
People can now choose to support me with a dollar donation or... still get the stuff free on google drive as mentioned above. :icon_bow:

Cheers, Tim
Chuck Wilson

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:38 am

I think thats a lot, almost seems like you are paying for people to take your free stuff,, makes no sense to me. :icon_eyeroll: but I guess it takes money to make money :)
My SketchFab
My YouTube Channel
:icon_onfire:
Xeon 12 core W3680 @ 4Ghz Hybrid Watercooled
EVGA 1070 8GB Hybrid Watercooled
Raid 0 840 Pro's
G.SKILL Ripjaws 24GB Memory
Tim
Site Admin

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:51 am

That is true Chuck. I have this gumroad account now for over a year and having the free things turned it in to a well frequented store page which is great.
However it's a bit like operating an all you can eat buffet. At the end of the day you gotta make some profit and while I still do that I saw the odds shifting more and more to many freeloaders with no intention of buying anything. I am still supporting that but I rather not having to pay for it anymore ;)
Chuck Wilson

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Lets go to Tims house he has all the free beer :icon_smile_rofl: lol , but seriously I would have done the same thing. Still a bargain for a dollar. :icon_yes:
My SketchFab
My YouTube Channel
:icon_onfire:
Xeon 12 core W3680 @ 4Ghz Hybrid Watercooled
EVGA 1070 8GB Hybrid Watercooled
Raid 0 840 Pro's
G.SKILL Ripjaws 24GB Memory
JEmerson

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Perfectly reasonable of you to do that Tim given the amount and quality of product that you continuously put out. I hope that the conversion rate of the freebie crowd is high enough and that the profit margin remains high for you. It is well deserved. I quickly went through your gumroad page again to skim the prices and I do not think your prices are out of line with the marketplace given the lengths and quality. I would happily pay for and recommend your tutorials because they are targeted at a practical understanding (and not just theory or quick examples; although these are good too). As a thought, you may consider looking through some of the tutorials from Pluralsight (previously Digital Tutors), 3D Buzz, etc . . . for concepts you want to address in a practical way that is consistent with your current product (e.g., hard-surface pipe fixtures that combine two or more cylinders at different angles with a chamfer). By doing this you can further incorporate the theory and best practices into a targeted asset that your customer will then be able to utilize in the future. Just my thoughts on it.
Tim
Site Admin

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:57 am

Thanks Jemerson, appreciate your feedback and that's certainly what I plan to do. Make a compelling set of different tutorials that covers a whole broad spectrum of different things that you may be asked to work on as a hard surface artist. That can range from weapons to .. robots (next tut will be a battle mech for example) to vehicles and to environment art! I have a lot of plans for this year regarding all this. Let's see how much I can get done ;)
tw2019

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:46 am

Hello Tim,

I just found your free weapon samples on the Unity Asset Store.
They look really good, have real world scale, very nice textures.

However I wonder how we should deal with the tri count.
Having like 4k triangles for a grenade is quite much.

Do you expect us to create LODs or decimated models ourselves, or do you have any plans on releasing updates that would include versions with lower tri count?

I just wonder what you think about that.

Thank you!