Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Unwrap Special - understanding the fundamentals of UV mapping - 3Ds Max 2017

All ChamferZone releases in one place.
Tim
Site Admin

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:15 am

Hi Boski, glad you like the vids and not sure why you would be worried about anything mirrored. Yes I use symmetry modifier all the time but after collapsing that you can just go ahead and unwrap it.
Do you mean the Reset X form thing that's sometimes necessary to do? Either way that's nothing that prevents you from unwrapping the model.

The other thing that I think you might mean is whether I have parts that share the same texture space? On this tiny scope in the unwrapping video I decided to have it all as one unique unwrap, so that's why you don't see me having any shared bits. If I wanted to share parts then all it takes is selecting them and pushing them out of the UV space by +1 in any direction.

For example here the back part of the stock:

Let me know if that answers your question. Cheers! :)
boski_miszczu

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:56 am

Maybe I did not make myself clear because my poor english skills:) I will try again:) I saw dozens tutorials and when it comes to end of unwrapping proces other tutors suggested to check all our UV shells by clicking "Select ----> select inverted polygons" in UV editor. And when we spot some inverted polys we should solve it. And I mentioned about mirror tool etc because this kind of action often causing inverted polygons later on UV editor. In conclusion: I am asking only about inverted polys in UV editor. Hope that this time I make myself clear:)
Once again: GREAT TUTORIALS!!!:)
The_Time_Burner

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 am

This might answer your question regarding the inverted polygons.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=566&start=10
Eldaniz

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:03 am

Thanks. Very good video tutorial.

I made adjustments in my model after watching this video but still encountering distortion on the border of a model after baking in substance painter. No idea what can be a reason.
Tim
Site Admin

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Hello Eldaniz, glad you like the video. While it's important to keep the edges as straight as possible on the borders it may not always work out. That's why its required to always apply the checker pattern texture, this will then show us whether we can get away with a bit of distortion or if its too stretched/distorted. Aside from that, other factors can also play into this so without a few screenshots of it, it's very hard to make a call on what's going on in your particular scene.
Romsky

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:17 am

h! sir wher? and how to download >texttools< for uvw map
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:04 pm

Hey there:)

You should watch the video which is posted on the first page of this topic, at ~ 9:50 it is being explained where to find it,
there you will see that you can find it on this website: http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/

:thumbsup_dude:
rvfx

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for your video Unwra Spécial !
I tested the script "Smart Stitch but i have the message : "Unknown property: "stitchVertsDialog" in undefined"
Can you help me ?
Sorry for my bad english i use the reverso !!!

Best regards
Hervé
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 pm

rvfx wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:04 am
Hi,

Thanks for your video Unwra Spécial !
I tested the script "Smart Stitch but i have the message : "Unknown property: "stitchVertsDialog" in undefined"
Can you help me ?
Sorry for my bad english i use the reverso !!!

Best regards
Hervé
Hi Hervé :)

In the video it is mentioned that you don't really need the Smart Stitch script, just to save you some time I made a screenshot of Tim's video on youtube, with this note:

Hope this helps :)