Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Óscar Sánchez

Perfect for saying hello, sharing your portfolio and background.
OscarSanchez

Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Óscar Sánchez (you probably guessed that), and I'm a 3D student who wants to be part of the gaming industry one day. For economical reasons, I've been working on another kind of jobs since I was very young, but I've always been passionated about videogames and the way they are made (art, not really much into programming~), and now, at the age of 24 I started attending to a school (while working on a side job) because I really want to try in this world.

Unfortunately, I think that the school is too generalist and the instructors I got don't really go much in depth (humble opinion, I'm still learning... But that's the way I feel), so to exploit the time and money I'm spending on the school, I'm also trying to practice as much as possible on my own, and learn everything I can from other people (glorious internet), so that's how I ended up in this forum, after watching the awesome tutorials made by Tim, which helped me A LOT.

I really love props (specially hard surface, and if I do sclupts I try to keep them "not too soft") and environments, because of the huge story they can tell so that's how I want to focus my carreer. After several months of practice, I am now working on my portfolio and I'm trying my best to have a chance to start working (I know this is about years of practice and hard work, not months, but have to start somewhere~).

I'll start posting my work as soon as it's ready, looking for some feedback by way more experienced people than me, as I consider this key to improvement.

Thanks for this forum (and for the tutorials), it's really nice for a learner to have all this information and knowledge available. See you arround here!
Tim
Site Admin

Sat May 20, 2017 11:06 pm

Hello Oscar, thanks for signing up here and for your introduction.

Good read and sounds all like you are on a good way. I wouldn't worry about your school not being exactly what you hoped for, or lets say.. pushing the kinds of skills you want to aquire.
When I went to the games art college I learned a lot there but the MOST I learned from tutorials as well found online. That was 10 years ago (not that many tutorials around as today) and I was glad that someone made a good one back then in 3D modeling which I also felt taught me more then any class could have possibly done. Parallel to the school, that was just the perfect combo and all I did aside from learning was working day and night on my portfolio back then.

It's really all about that.. adding good things to the portfolio and I am sure it'll pay out for you too. I look forward seeing your work! :thumbsup_dude:
two_larsens

Sun May 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Hello Óscar,

Good introduction. It sounds like you have the right idea with how to get there, and this forum with all the good and helpful artists is surely a right move as well. Good luck!

H
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Óscar,

Welcome to the forum first of all, looking forward for your projects :D
Good intro indeed, and I notice some very familiar things. I experienced the same thing with school, I got all the basics but all the rest, like..60% I learned during internships and online tutorials. Also now I am a member of this forum I still learn a lot from the advices where are being given here.

Good to have you on board here, and enjoy :D