Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Hello fellow poly pushers!

Perfect for saying hello, sharing your portfolio and background.
Fahad

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:51 am

Hi everyone!

My name is Fahad and I'm some what new to poly modeling. I have done it before, but only for personal work and not really paying attention to the general rules of topology. I have been practicing photogrammetry for a while and so I decide recently to start retopoing my scans to make them game ready. I hope to retopo an asset a day, and I'll be posting my work for feedback. You can see my scans at my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/fahad

here are some images:

zaparine

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:33 am

Fantastic results! Fear that in the future, the scans will render modeling and texturing process obsolete, will they? :icon_getmecoat:
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:58 am

Hey and welcome Fahad!
It's always interesting to see new people and their work come along, these scans are really awesome too look at!
Awesome work and hope to see more from you! :icon_yes:
zaparine wrote:
the scans will render modeling and texturing process obsolete, will they? :icon_getmecoat:
Unlikely, unless the retpology gets insanely good. Artists can judge better where geometry is needed and where it isn't as well as create things that can't be scanned. But I feel it should definitely be used in conjunction with manually made work like they're doing with Battlefield/Battlefront.
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
zaparine

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:50 am

Yeah, I agree with you siks. But do not underestimate the power of A.I. in the next 100 years! :D hehe
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:02 am

I'll be 6 feet underground by then. :icon_lol:
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
zaparine

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:03 am

:icon_vince: LOL :icon_smile_rofl:
Tim
Site Admin

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Hey Fahad, that is really cool with the photogrammetry! When I look around at sketchfab I see a lot of people that also are passionate about that and through it got into 3D. It sure is amazing what all can be done these days with a few simple tools and gadgets. Look forward seeing more of your work!
Fahad

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Tim wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 pm
Hey Fahad, that is really cool with the photogrammetry! When I look around at sketchfab I see a lot of people that also are passionate about that and through it got into 3D. It sure is amazing what all can be done these days with a few simple tools and gadgets. Look forward seeing more of your work!
Thank you, Tim. I really enjoy your tutorials and the step by step style!
zaparine wrote:
Fantastic results! Fear that in the future, the scans will render modeling and texturing process obsolete, will they? :icon_getmecoat:
Like Siks said, it's not going to happen anytime soon. The topology and UVs you get from photogrammetry is not even ideal for offline rendering, let alone realtime. Also, you can really scan imaginative objects (design is big side of modeling), lastly there are things that simply can't be scanned without major modifications to the physical object, like reflective and translucent materials. I believe that 3D scanning is a good addition to 3D modeling and retopoing them is a good exercise in 3D modeling.
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Hey there Fahad, welcome to Chamferzone Forum! :D
Glad to have you here, those 3D scans are totally awesome, it's kinda mindblowing what kind of results those scans can deliver :3Dlove:
Looking forward to more of your projects, enjoy your stay here! :)