Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Substance - Applying a material to a fill layer?

Anything related to baking, texturing or sharing useful advice.
gizmo1990

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi there,

I'm learning the ropes of Substance Painter (2018) and following along to the AK47 tutorial. There's a specific part during the first (of 2) texturing video where Tim applies a Steel Material to a Fill Layer and I've no idea how he's doing it? It's at precisely 01:03:25.

At first I thought he was simply dragging and dropping the material over the Fill Layer, but when I do it the Steel Material is placed as a new layer 'on top' of the Fill Layer. Somehow Tim is embedding the Steel Material into the Fill Layer and I'd like to know exactly how he's doing this.

Tbh, I'm struggling with how Substance handles it's layering so I'm trying to reverse engineer every piece of new info I find. Which is why it's so important I understand how Tim is doing this.

Can anyone help me out and tell me precisely what he's doing? Any help much appreciated.
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Hey there :)

Sorry to read there are some problems you ran into during the process, as I don't have SP2018 (I have 2017) there could be some interface/tool differences...
but perhaps it's the same in your case:

In the AKM tutorial Tim adds the Parkerized steel material indeed to a fill layer. To what I see on my screen is that he only has to click on the material in the dock after he created the fill layer,
but perhaps after updates/changed in the software, things might go differently.

Either way, I guess the principle stays the same, so if you look at the properties panel while the fill layer is selected, you will see the tab "Material".
Just below that, you can see "Material mode - No resource selected" From there, you can look up your material, for example like Tim did with the Steel Parkerized in this video :)

Images from Tim's tutorial, first: Default fill layer properties, showing that material mode has no resource selected:

Second image: Material mode has been chosen, using Steel Parkerized with all it's settings that come with it: