Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Normal map baking issue

Anything related to baking, texturing or sharing useful advice.
Billabong

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:11 pm

So I have been going through this thing for the past 2 and half weeks fixing errors in the baking. Now Ive ran into one, that I can not fix no matter what. Its hard to explain whats happening, but its almost like the normal map is collapsing in on itself on the part I have circled. I have everything named correctly, I have tried using obj's and fbx's Ive gone from .01 to .001 on the distance in the bake. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

-B
1.JPG
1.JPG (93.91 KiB) Viewed 549 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (30.55 KiB) Viewed 549 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (90.22 KiB) Viewed 549 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (69.48 KiB) Viewed 548 times
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:20 am

Hmm I have seen this some day before but not quite sure what the cause was or how it was solved :thinking:

Assuming that your normals directions are correct for the lowpoly, its kinda confusing me as well. I mean, the outer ring seems to be correct.

Just for test purposes: Could you make a new copy of your file (so you have a backup) and adjust the highpoly a bit. Make that inner hole less deep, like give it the same depth as that outer ring. Run a new test and let us know what the result is :enlightened:

I also experienced a baking issue one day which I solved by reset xforming the low & highpoly (of course without turbosmooth modifiers), so that might be my additional suggestion.

I'm watching this on my phone now so cant go and look in depth, but yea it looks like its collapsing /projecting that hole at an extreme angle resulting in this appearance...
Billabong

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 am

Thanks so Much Lagg for chiming in.

I think I just figured it out. It seems to be an issue with UDIM's, I broke the model up into 4 UDIM's and to be honest I was getting all kinds of problems, FBX's wouldnt even bake, so I switched to obj's.

So I saved out the lp and hp of the grip, brought it into a new file and expored out fbx's , brought those into SP and made sure UDIM was unchecked and it baked beautiful.

So It looks like I have two choices. I can either use 4 different maps for these with 4 different files or pack this whole thing together and just bake out an 8K map. What would you do?

Attached an image of the new bake.

thanks again Lagg.

-B
6.JPG
6.JPG (119.63 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Ah I see, didn't realize you were working with UDIM's :)

To answer your question: I personally would go for breaking it up in parts: With the idea that you can eventually create different models (for example various grips) which can be swapped in-game later on :enlightened:
But if you are sure nothing will be swapped or changed, you could go for an 8K as well. But I personally prefer to keep options open in case I ever decide to change/add something :)
Billabong

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm

I agree with you, different maps would be ideal and the resolution would also look better.

Thanks Lagg for the help.

-B