Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

How can I fix this weird baking?

Anything related to baking, texturing or sharing useful advice.
Winter

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:52 pm

I try following Tim's ultimate weapon course and I stuck at somewhere on trigger baking. There're some weird height appeared on it. Could you give me some suggestion?

Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am

Hey there ! :)

Hmmz your UV's look fine to me, I also assume you have set all smoothing groups from UV shells using Textools, right?

Something I notice is that I clearly see the lowpoly edges, this could be 2 things:
A: Average normals is turned off in baking settings?
B: The Max Front / Rear distances needs to be changed, it's set either quite high or low :thinking:

Considering the latter, it seems that the mesh is receiving shadow/normal information from another area, as your low & high + the UV's seem to be OK.
May I ask what your current values are for the max front/rear distances in the baking settings?

Another possibility is that this object shares the same naming convention as the other magazine catch object around it, in case these are both named the same way.

Now these are just some things that pop up in my mind, please let us know what you found out / if you already checked these things, so we can look further for a solution :) :enlightened:
Winter

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:57 pm

I don't know much because everything is new to me and this is my first time do something and learn everything new about 3D from the course. My English listening isn't well so I might skipped something that I couldn't understand and I don't know how is some baking setting works.

For baking setting, I set like in the course. For Ambient occlusion and Thickness I bake it later with 2*2 like in the course but others are 8*8.
And here's the setting.

Image Image

For naming objects in 3Dmax, I just checked and there's no object that have the same name with this magazine catch_low and magazine catch_high.
I will try name everything follow the course and bake it again for better checking.

For smoothing groups from UV shells, I used it to fix the objects that have weird shadow as Tim's suggestion in the course.
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:20 am

Hey there , thanks a lot for posting those settings! :thumbsup:
I notice you have "Average Normals" unchecked, this shoud be checked to avoid those hard edges (so the lowpoly edges don't show through).

Try to re-bake it with that checked, and feel free to let us know if that worked, allright? :)
Stil wondering about the normal-artifact as it seems to receive information from another area, while your settings for the distances seem to be fine :thinking:
Winter

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:27 pm

After right check at Average Normals, it's become a little better at the magazine catch but there's new weird height appeared on somewhere.

Here's the picture after baking again with Average Normals. >>>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For this one seem to be fine since it's below the rear sign leaf.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's Normal Map of the magazine catch. >>>

Old baking with no checking on Average Normals

After Checking

Other changing >>>

Before checking at Average Normals

After checking at Average Normals

The hard edges from low poly was removed. Amazing!

Seem the height around knots become distorted.

And I just found some new weird baking at the knot below stocker and another one is the knot below the lower reciever.

Seem like I got a lot of problems haha. Another problem I just got is there's no color of floater of the number on rear sign leaf in color map. I found some topic here and they just renamed that floater in 3Dmax to make it appear in color map on substance painter but it's not work to me. The floater number was disappear after baking. So it seem like I have to do it in Photoshop instead. They said it's a bug from substance 2.0 and above so I wonder if this weird height appearing is also a bug from the Substance Painter 2018 or I have to back to adjust some setting?
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 am

Hey there :)

Glad to read the hard edges are gone and some artifacts disappeared !
But yea...sometimes by solving one issue, it can run into the next one :icon_eek:

For the distortion, you could make a copy of your lowpoly mesh and either tesselate it or manually add some extra geo around the areas where there is a lot of distortion.
Arrimus 3D has a fantastic tutorial for this, the action begins at ~8:40 but I recommend watching the whole video of course :)

For the darker magazine catch part; Have you checked if your normals are flipped eventually? Darker faces could be a result of flipped normals. :thinking:

Uhm regarding those knots /screws on the bottom; Not sure, but it feels like that could be caused because of the distortion (looking at the first one).
The second one seems to be inversed or something, and the 9sided inset is a bit hard to see but is this in 4k or 2K viewing mode? If its 2K, that would be a resolution matter.
Winter

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 am

Oh yeah!!! Finally I can solve the distortion problem! :xtc_dance:

From first I try to follow the clip you gave me. After use tessellate baking on the low poly, there's some edges appear on curve angle poly. >>>

But after back to watched the clip again, I heard he said something like "It because of curve angle from high poly make the distortion". I was thinking about why when baking without checking on "Average normals", it give us perfect baking....... It might because there's remaining of low poly edges, so the program can adjust the floating elements more precisely. I tried to take the normal map from baking on Substance Painter without checking on "Average normals" to replace the main normal map from baking with checking on "Average normals".

It works!!! :icon_partyparrot_e:

For weird distortion on bottom screw at stock, it was because it is at the center of the symmetry, so normal map gave the result just half of it then copy to another side and it became V shape instead.
>>>

Then I rotate the screw and make it straight instead.
>>>

For Magazine catch, It was like you said. It was because I didn't flip it. :icon_eek:
But now after flip it >>>

For 9sides inset.....I could see it normally after change to 4k mode. :icon_vince:
>>>

Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:03 am

I'm glad to read it's solved now :D Have fun to continue this project :icon_thumbsfallout: :icon_partyparrot_e: