Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Using Alphas in Substance Painter

Anything related to baking, texturing or sharing useful advice.
VariableDesigns

Wed May 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi everyone.

So, I'm having a few quality issues when using alphas to imprint on objects.
help.JPG
help.JPG (293.01 KiB) Viewed 729 times
The textures and viewport are at 4K, but I'm getting fairly average quality.

The inner part of the square is a 10 piece grate. They are meant to be straight lines, but they look like they are made out of pixelated circles. :thinking:
Also, does anyone know why it is black, when I am only the height information? Shouldn't it be the same colour as the piece it is stamped onto?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! :icon_ohnoez:

Thanks
Jack.
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Thu May 24, 2018 2:56 pm

Hey there :)

So far I can't remember that I had an issue like this myself, so I had to do some research and came across this page:
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=6238.0

Not exactly sure if it's the same case for you (heavy quality issues when the brush/alpha is rotated in a way like it seems to be in your screenshot),
and I'm also interested in the size of your alpha texture + the UV space of the element you are trying to paint this detail on. If it's a very small UV shell it can cause troubles like this even though you are viewing it in 4k :thinking: Just thinking about something like that, if you already checked this out then let us know, so we can investigate it further :)
VariableDesigns

Thu May 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi

Thanks for the help.

Here's my UV map
y6.JPG
y6.JPG (479.85 KiB) Viewed 720 times
I know I could have done a better job with it, but I didn't think it would be as much of an issue as it is. When I did the Kukri knife tutorial, I didn't have any issues :icon_tableflipper: :icon_trustissue:

Thanks
Jack
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Hey there :)

Good to read you analyzed the unwrap yourself, as my answer would indeed be the advice to spend a bit more time into the unwrapping process.
Try to fill up your unwrap 0-1 space as much as possible, it can be a real puzzle sometimes but it all comes down to resolution issues when UV shells get very small.

I'm not sure how big the UV shell is which you were painting on, but you could try to see if it makes a difference when you paint that height detail on the largest UV shell compared to the result you showed earlier :enlightened:
VariableDesigns

Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Okay, thanks for the help. I'm guessing I'll have to re do the work I've done in Substance Painter, with the new UV? :icon_ohnoez:
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Mon May 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Well I think that is fully up to you man :O I can understand it will take quite some time again to re-do it...but in case you want to improve this specific project as well I'd say it would be a good start to re-arrange your UV layout by using it more efficiently :) Of course it's important to have some space between the shells but...every pixel counts, especially if you would go for in-game usage of the textures (4k might become a texture size for ingame use some day but overall 2K would be the average size of a FPS gun as far as I heard :thinking: ).

I don't dare to promise that this is where the lowres issue comes from, but that would really depend on how big the UV shell is in your current layout.

When it comes down to the textures: I guess the materials and generators can stay in your file to serve as a base, but as you will be changing your UV layout that probably will lead to a new ID map as well, so...all the masking you did so far for the materials & handpainted details are the things that you will have to re-do :( Now I'm telling all this by what I think, rather than replicating the situation here myself. So perhaps you are lucky by having less work to do compared to what I mentioned above :) :enlightened:
VariableDesigns

Mon May 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Well I have re done all the UV islands and it seems to have mostly fixed the issue. Thanks :thumbsup: