Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

PBR Texturing

Anything related to baking, texturing or sharing useful advice.
Pratik

Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 am

Hi I am Pratik and i am trying to model Gewehr98 rifle.I have completed low poly and high poly modelling but when it comes to baking i am having some serious problems as you can see in the images.There are wired artifacts and shading issues that i am facing and i don't know how to fix them.Also smoothing groups from uv island doesn't seem to work in my 3ds max 2018.Any help would be appreciated.

Laggtastic
Site Admin

Thu May 24, 2018 2:37 pm

Hello Pratik! :)

These problems happen from time to time, the cause of the problem can be a few things.
You already mentioned that you have problems with Smoothing groups from UV shells right? Can you explain the problem more precisely? :)

Because when looking at these screenshots, I'd say it has to do with the smoothing groups/UV shell splits, but also it could be that you should try another value for the frontal/rear distances in the baking options :thinking: Average normals are also checked by the way? :)

Looking forward to your reply, so we can investigate it further :icon_thumbsfallout:
Pratik

Thu May 24, 2018 6:31 pm

The problem with smoothing group from uv shells is that tex tools won't apply them no matter how many times i have tried.i have uncheked average normals.and i am trying diffrent front and rear distance combination.can i use the just autosmooth instead of smoothing groups from uv shells?
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Thu May 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Hmm very strange, I remember I once had the issue that I couldn't apply Textools Smoothing groups from UV shells because I had multiple objects selected,
that happened quite a few times so since that moment I select and apply that object-after-object, which actually works properly :thinking: So my question would be: Have you tried it also by selecting only one object?

Regarding the autosmooth: Nope...not really; As the name of Textool's feature suggests: You need to assign smoothing groups based on UV shells. So...each UV shell should get one single (unique) smoothing group as far as my knowledge goes (in case I'm incorrect, feel free to correct me ladies and gentleman) :enlightened:

But rather than doing all that manually, be sure to let us know if you also tried to apply Textools's Smoothing groups from UV shells function to a single object rather than selecting all objects :)
Pratik

Fri May 25, 2018 5:54 am

I just realised that last night after attaching all the the objects together. It works now anyways thanks for the help.also i would like to ask where will i find detatch to elements script.
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Hey there glad you managed to solve it :)
Regarding detach to elements: As it can be seen in the AKM tutorial (Introduction chapter, video part 4) this script can be found on Scriptspot.
It's there for free so here's the link: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scrip ... chelements

:icon_thumbsfallout: