Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Looking for perfect baking method

Anything related to baking, texturing or sharing useful advice.
CharlieOsa

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Hey folks,
I am looking for the most advanced (let's call it an overkill) method of baking normal maps, I've seen great in depth comparison of different software/methods but can't find it anywhere now. I only remember that person who tested showed plenty of different results of one textured baked. At the end he has made conclusion that (I am not 💯 sure now )that baking texture in doubled resolution using X-Normal and than downscaling in it down can give best results. Anyone know that post?? :icon_confused:
My Artstation

"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories" - Sun Tzu
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 pm

If you want specifically just good normal map baking, any software will do it.
There's a bunch of stuff to consider like whether it should be in OpenGL or DirectX. Also most applications often make use of the tangent space that's imported with the model, others like Marmoset will have their own tangent space that you need to set up.

If you want good quality normal maps most applications with good anti-aliasing settings will have good results. At a certain point it'll have very little effect as you're still playing with the same amount of pixels. What you mentioned is downsampling/supersampling. You can do it in any application that can handle rendering a normal map the next resolution up to what you actually want to use, then you can just pop it into photoshop, go to Image>Image Size and scale it down. That's it.

Here's an example, one of these is Marmoset, 32 bits/channel, 16x sampling, 2k.
The other is the same except it was rendered in 4k, then I downscaled it to 2k in Photoshop.
Which one you ask? I don't even know. I put just them into Photoshop and couldn't really tell them apart soo...
Downscaling is just another form of anti-aliasing, and when you have 16x already in Marmoset, jeez, there's very little you can do to improve it. The same goes for Painter with 8x AA. I don't have a comparison but they're basically the same as I compared them a few days ago.

If you want good tools, Marmoset all the way. 16x sampling is probably the highest I've seen. It has a soften option to blur your normal map after bake making it softer in some areas (can create mismatch on your lowpoly I think, but still a useful feature I guess), on top of that the baker allows you to paint out any skewing which quite a deal breaker. The scene is also a great environment allowing you to import as many models, bakers, materials and lights as your heart can handle, or your PC.

Beyond that there's little you can do to a normal map. It's the same texture produced in every application, apart from basic tools like AA/sampling there's not much to improve.
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
CharlieOsa

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 am

Hey Siks, sorry that it took me so long to reply. I totally agree with you, I've switched to Marmoset for baking and damn, it is so much faster than Substance...and the simplicity of its interface :)
There is no way I could bake 8K AO map with 16xsamples inside Substance, maybe with 2xsamples... :icon_vince:
In Marmo it takes literally few minutes, I love it. :icon_partyparrot_e: :icon_partyparrot_e: :icon_partyparrot_e:
Thanks!
My Artstation

"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories" - Sun Tzu