Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Inset Chamfer modifier for 3Ds Max

Place for anything that has to do with 3D modeling or sculpting.
Tim
Site Admin

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Now this is something I've been looking forward to and it's free! :thumbup: :yeahthat:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/mcg/inset-chamfer

I am just trying to get it to work here. Will report back once it's running.
H.W

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Uh nice, i will try this too
Tim
Site Admin

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Currently I am fighting with some error message to get it to work. Upon installation it says:

Gotta investigate. Either way once that thing works it could totally be a game changer. :crown:
(Hopefully) no more need to fiddle around with the default "chamfer" modifier which produces pinching and ngons in certain areas where you wouldn't want it.
Tim
Site Admin

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Okay got it to work! For some reason it wouldn't work with Max 2016, but it does work with 2017.
Time to really give it a test.

Update: Well... right now it looks like the main problem that the chamfer modifier has is still there.
Since it works in combination with the default chamfer modifier there are still pinches if you have 3 edges connecting at one spot
http://i.imgur.com/oK5FXC0.png That means that the third party Quad Chamfer plugin by Marius Silaghi (http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/q ... r-modifier) is still the #1 tool out there because it produces perfect quad geometry.
DanteApple

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:49 pm

looks great the plugin but looking at some results I rather keep the old method by now hehehe
Kanni
Site Admin

Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:47 am

Nice little tool, but as nice and quick as the results these produce, I don't believe there will ever be a replacement for regular sub-d modeling - and having the knowledge of fundamentals/foundation for good topology. :)
ImageImageImage
Swordslayer

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Tim wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:52 pm
Update: Well... right now it looks like the main problem that the chamfer modifier has is still there.
Since it works in combination with the default chamfer modifier there are still pinches if you have 3 edges connecting at one spot.
So, just wanted to follow up on this as there's a complete rewrite available as a part of the KeyHydra toolset now and it doesn't use max chamfer anymore. Apart from the home-brewn rounded and flat filleting options, other enhancements include up to 100x speedup, support for multiple SGs per face, preserved SGs, matIDs and selections, as well as options to select edge faces (no full mapping support yet, though).

There are also additional smoothing modes: one SG per whole mesh, explicit normals or smooth by threshold. Another new thing is the option to keep consistent radius width so sharp corners are now rounded properly. Last but not least, custom round and flat profile options are present now. Here it is compared with max chamfer modifier:

and with the consistent radius enforced:

And since the max Chamfer's Quad Intersection option added in 2018 in some cases solves the problem when multiple edges connect to one vert, here's a comparison of some edge case, on and off (long story short, it's not always an improvement), compared to InsetSG on the right:

Plus if you know the pain of setting the values of the modifier to the same values over and over again every time you apply it, there's now a Preset rollout where you can save the current values as default ones and next time you add the modifier, it will use those:

I wouldn't treat it as a replacement for sub-d modeling at all either, just another tool in the toolbox.

Kind of a dealbreaker (aside from the no longer free price tag) might be that currently, we're only supporting two last max versions (new features are added with new max versions in mind and we're only doing this in our spare time). But even if you won't try the the trial, I'm really interested to get to know what do you think about that (I'd have many many more tools to ask the same about since there're dozens in the pack but I fear that could easily be misread as spamming the forums given its commercial nature).
Incoming Signature in 3..2..1..
My Scripts :: MAXScript One-liners for Artists