Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Chamfer Pinch Help

Place for anything that has to do with 3D modeling or sculpting.
Remi

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:18 pm

Hello! I constantly run into this issue with chamfering and would love to know if there is a way around it. I always get pinches when chamfering an edge with more than two segments connected to it. I have two images, the one with the pinch, and one with the desired result (where I manually welded the vertices to create a single line). Is there a way to get my desired result without having to collapse the chamfer and collapse the vertices?

The problem image is attached (with the red circle)

The Desired result has no highlight

Thank you!!
Attachments
Problem_Chamfering.png
the issue
Problem_Chamfering.png (161.9 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Remi

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Remi wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:18 pm
Hello! I constantly run into this issue with chamfering and would love to know if there is a way around it. I always get pinches when chamfering an edge with more than two segments connected to it. I have two images, the one with the pinch, and one with the desired result (where I manually welded the vertices to create a single line). Is there a way to get my desired result without having to collapse the chamfer and collapse the vertices?

The problem image is attached (with the red circle)

The Desired result has no highlight

Thank you!!
Here is what I would like to happen:
Attachments
Desired_result.png
Desired_result.png (89.13 KiB) Viewed 223 times
ranula_cgartist

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:45 am

Hello Remi,

What do you use? Regular 3Ds Max's Chamfer odifier or the Quad Chamfer by Marius Silaghi ?

You can always cleanup your mesh after a regular chamfer modifier. But, I prefer Quad Chamfer over the standard Chamfer modifier because of only one reason. There is a simple option in the roll outs to tick to overcome this type of artifacts. It gives more precised chamfers. Tim has already explained the technique in one of his tutorials. I will attach the link below, feel free to check it out.

Watch after around 10 mins. He explains the difference between the 2 Chamfer modifiers. I use Quad Chamfer everyday. It's a wise investment ion my opinion, never regret. :)

Cheers !
Ranula.