Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Quad Chamfer, a few questions...

Place for anything that has to do with 3D modeling or sculpting.
Gazu

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:58 am

Hey!

So, after all, i think that i made my first step with the Quad Chamfer modifier.
I never used it to finish a project. But i think that its a good idea to learn this workflow.
So at the moment im fighting a few errors when using the quad chamfer modifier, its mostly on corners.

1. As far as i understand, Tim creates first the LowPoly, so he uses actually lowpoly geo, later on for the highpoly, which should work with quad chamfer.
When i use a lowpoly mesh, and add a quad chamfer to it, i have problems with the corners.
Lets say this is part of a pistol frame and the extrude is the space for the hammer:

And this is my quad chamfer result used with smoothing groups:

So how to fix that?
Is the only opinion really to create a curve with more segments to support the corners?
Wouldn´t that be to curvy for a LP?

The next thing is that some of my corners are some kind of stretched or they look like the vertices are not conected but they are:

Other then that, quad chamfer is a pretty fast workflow, just dont know how to fix that :(
Who can help? :)

Thanks!
Tim
Site Admin

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Hey!

So yeah while the quad chamfer is pretty amazing it's not the perfect solution in all cases and very often what's required is to add a few extra edges here and there to avoid pinching.
In your case what I would do is adding edges right next to where the problematic area is and also make sure that you have "Quad Intersections" checked in the settings!

Gazu

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks for your explanation Tim!
Okay, so we def. need support loops here. Damn. This makes it similar to a clasic-sub-d workflow.
Need to take care of this support loops that they dont create visible hard edges.

But like talked on Facebook, it will barely be visible, especially when the material on this spot is rough!

Thank you!