Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Bent polygons

Place for anything that has to do with 3D modeling or sculpting.
Valery

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Hello!
Never thought about it before, but is it ok to have bent polygons in a model, like on the image below?
It's the same polygon, but different view angle. You can see on the right side that it's not planar.
bent_poly.jpg
bent_poly.jpg (113.42 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Billabong

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:04 pm

you need to have a supporting edge to be able to do that, basically a line from the two highlighted verts.
Valery

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:16 am

Thanks for reply!
What are the potential issues this may cause, if a model has these kind of polygons? Will this cause any problems with baking, animation or triangulation of a model?
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:07 am

Models for games and such will allways be triangulated automatically in the game engine /on export if they are not triangulated beforehand. Like Billabong mentioned, I would also suggest to add the extra edge manually (so you have full control on how it is triangulated; If it would be done automatically it could connect this polygon with a vertical edge in this example which most likely will not be the result you're after).

In terms of the issues you may have: Generally the shading will mostly be influenced by the highpoly when you bake. As you may know the lowpoly shading looks weird when using Textools' Smoothing groups from UV shells but turns out awesome once you bake the highpoly model. I had some bent polygons like this as well in a few models but overall I personally never had big trouble with them :thinking:

However, this could be different for various situations, and the angle of bending will absolutely have influence to the result as well.
So that's why I would agree with what has been mentioned before, to add that extra edge... :)
Valery

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Thank you for explanation, this helped to deal with some confusion I had. :)