Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

3ds to SP2

Place for anything that has to do with 3D modeling or sculpting.
vrob3l

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 am

Hi guys,

I found out about this forum from tutorials on YT. I am a structural engineer and I started learning 3D modeling not for gaming purposes but more for visualisation and animation.

Apologies for registering and going straight to my problem :D

I made a model of children playground and I faced some issues while exporting it to SP2.

Also I made a model of simplest figures just for test with same results so:

1) I have a problem with importing FBXs. I got a strange UV map in SP looking like not complete and I do not have this problem when I export as OBJ.
And when I imported a 'playground' model as FBX some of the elemnts were not in place, scaled or rotated. Not having these problems with OBJ.

FBX:
fbx1.PNG
fbx1.PNG (79.89 KiB) Viewed 330 times

OBJ:
obj1.PNG
obj1.PNG (121.67 KiB) Viewed 330 times

2) Second one is hard edge. It looks like a low poly is punching through high poly model. Since yestarday I have been doing my reasarch also in this forum but nothing. Maybe you have an idea. I think the UV islands are done properly as I followed tutorials. I should mention that I used chamfer, turbosmooth and smooth groups to make my hard poly model. I doubt I made mistakes with smoothing groups as these are very simple objects.

obj2.PNG
obj2.PNG (226.43 KiB) Viewed 330 times

Please help. Regards.
Attachments
fbx1.PNG
fbx1.PNG (79.89 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Billabong

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:13 pm

Hey vrob3l ,

From a first look, it almost looks like a smoothing issue. Do you have to use fbx? if Obj's work, why not just use them?

Can you upload a part of your high poly and low poly model? Ill see if I cant take a look at it today.

-B
vrob3l

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi,

No I don't have to use FBX, I just think it should work for either of them.

As for an update, the FBX problem was solved when I ticked 'triangulate' while FBX export.

Unfortunatelly, in my test I went to a point of no return so I made other simple model with same results though.

Here is a list for 3ds file: https://we.tl/Se1RVmsLzn

Please take a look. Probably it is something obvious for a pro.

Thanks in advance.
Billabong

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Ill take a look at it this afternoon.

-B
Billabong

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:56 pm

So I exported out both as fbx's, I collapsed the high poly before exporting. Brought both into SP and baked out a normal map. Seemed to bake just fine for me.

-B
bake.JPG
bake.JPG (80.44 KiB) Viewed 314 times
vrob3l

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks for checking the model.

I thought about it yesterday that maybe this is the result I should get,

but whenever I look at the models of others on tutorials, they do not have these hard edges around and for sure the base of the cone should not look that edgy, the HP model doesn't.

The base problem is probably because I have not used enough of a side polys. It would be rounder.

But, still when you look from a side all edges are hard, and I did not get an impression it is a normal thing when I looked at someone else's work (or maybe it is no visiable from a distance).

Is it an actual effect which always take place and to get rid of it should I just use chamfers on hard edges of LP?
Billabong

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:48 am

Yeah cones are a pain in the ass because they are slanted inwards. So I created a small tutorial, that might help you.

1. I created a cylinder with 40 edges, select the top verts and scale them to your size that you need. Your base model didn't have enough edges going around to get rid of the blockiness.

2. clone the cylinder and hide it. add a chamfer modifier and give it a nice round edge ( this was one of your problems. Your edges weren't round enough for baking.)

3 go bake to your low poly and and collapse every two verts on top. This took my low poly model from 200 to 160 edges. With the right amount of edges, you could collapse every 3 verts.

4. unwrap the LP and go to Sp and bake.

1.JPG
1.JPG (151.17 KiB) Viewed 307 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (74.95 KiB) Viewed 307 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (149.78 KiB) Viewed 307 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (64.3 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

-B