Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Corner Edge Chamfering Issue

Place for anything that has to do with 3D modeling or sculpting.
ranula_cgartist

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:25 am

Hi artists ! :)
Hope you are all doing great ! :)

I'm having a problem chamfering a corner edge. Here's the issue.
1.jpg
1.jpg (116.88 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (113.04 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
I can't use Tim's "smoothing group chamfer + turbosmooth" workflow because I can't put smoothing groups to the angled polygons. I have to maintain the curve.
3.jpg
3.jpg (42.03 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Well, I am totally ok with chamfering this type of angled faces,
type_1.jpg
type_1.jpg (77.56 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
But this angled faces always screws me up !
type_2.JPG
type_2.JPG (64.57 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
I have to maintain the curve and i don't have any clue. FYI, I have Quad chamfer plugin too. Please Help me.

Thanks,
Ranula.
Bruno743

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:46 am

Hi Ranula ! I'm not an expert in pinching issue, but i think i will try this for see...
Then your corner is a N-GON, 3ds max don't like N-gon on curve surfaces, and you can't create triangles on curves surfaces (if you connect your corner to middle vertex there is on your object),
that's lead to an other pinching issue.
If you work on curved surface keep everything quad polygons. On flat surface smoothing group for triangles and sometimes n-gons works...
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (138.51 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
ranula_cgartist

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks Bruno !

I have tried it, yes it lead to another pinching problem. To be honest, your solution was the last thing I've tried on my model. Still no good :icon_uff:

But thanks for stopping to give a helping hand. Appreciate that ! :) :thumbsup_dude:
Bruno743

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 am

Like i said ! Im not expert, but maybe it is just a question of put more edges on the curve part for avoid the pinching...
Bruno743

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Not sure i totally understand what you try to achieve, a straight corner with the curve or a smooth corner with the curve ?
I put the same smoothing group for both side of the angle, and try with this 2 loops around it.
I attached a file.
Promess i stop after ! Good luck
Attachments
01.zip
(41.28 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:34 am

Hey there :)

Before I asked for the full shape it was kinda difficult to indicate what the shape was like, as it didn't really show the curved shape as it actually is,
so as a little tiny advice for the next question I would suggest to post an image of the full shape, so we can better understand what the shape looks like :victory: :enlightened:

So after checking it out and started it with a fresh view (after a quick attempt which didn't turn out so well), I came up with a solution.
Now I'm not the topology master here, so this is just one way to tackle it, but it comes with the extra task to recreate the holes which are on top of the shape :icon_ohnoez:

The thing is, when creating shapes it's the best approach to start with the big forms, before heading in and adding smaller details such as holes & so on.
I recreated the shape from scratch, started with a plane with I bended by using a few edges + Turbosmooth to achieve the curve-shape. After that I moved the vertices in front to add that thinner area on front:

After that I also added symmetry, did a tiny adjustment and added a shell to it, resulting in this form:

From there, I added smoothing groups like you normally would, with this setup:

With the chamfer modifier applied:

At last I added a Turbosmooth with 2 iterations, made a render and this is how it turns out (copied the shape and rotated them to get an idea how the shape interacts with light)

So...that's what I did, and it's not causing pinching and 100% quad :icon_partyparrot_e:

Hope this helps in some way :thumbsup_dude:
Billabong

Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Laggtastics method is exactly what I would have done. When dealing with curves and details, you need quite a few supporting edges evenly spaced out. Once you have that, then you can start thinking about adding the details.

-B
ranula_cgartist

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 am

Hello Everybody ! :)

Thanks a lot for stopping by to help me out. First of all I apologize for not sharing the big shape. It made you guys harder to think of a correct, possible way. Laggtastic's method is the best. First of all, I had to make the bigger shape with more edges on the curve. It helped to hold the tight edge without giving any artifacts. Bruno has told to add more edges, he has a point too :) But without showing the whole shape, it was a miracle for one to think of a way to solve it.

It worked out finally, 0 pinches.

I am very sorry for disappointing you with not showing the whole shape. It won't happen again.

Thanks a lot !

Ranula. :)
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Hey man :)

Glad it worked out, and no need to feel sorry or apologize at all :) I'm just happy to see it is solved now and you can carry on with it :icon_thumbsfallout: :icon_clappedi: