Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Mangoose 357

Place for anything that has to do with 3D modeling or sculpting.
Bruno743

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:47 am

Hi guys ! I currently working on a revolver, but i have some issue i can't solve:

Unfortunately i have a pinching issue with the barrel... I tried multiple versions of it but can't finish this barrel properly...
Pinching are around the ''Hat'' recess..

At the begining i start using smoothing groups and a quad chamfer modifier like usual, but impossible to not have pinching around this ''Hat'' shape.
Then i figured i can have better clean result by chamfer by myself the ''Hat shape'', without smoothing group apply to it.
But the result isn't still there, i don't know how to finish correctly the high poly model...
If somebody have an idea how i can connect vertex for avoid pinching ?
Attachments
Mangoose_357_WIP_06.JPG
Mangoose_357_WIP_06.JPG (177.16 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Mangoose_357_WIP_05.JPG
Mangoose_357_WIP_05.JPG (92.3 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Mangoose_357_WIP_04.JPG
Mangoose_357_WIP_04.JPG (68.8 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:33 am

Hey there :)

I've seen someone passing by one day with a similar problem, I believe (not super sure :notquitesure: ) as this is your highpoly model the best way to solve it is to give the cylinder shape way more segments before you start to carve in the "hat" detail in this specific case :) Make sure that you add some extra segments to the "hat" shape as well before you start carving, otherwise the cylinder looks super smooth while the rounded part of that shape looks still a bit low poly^^
Bruno743

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:00 am

Ooh thanks a lot ! That's funny because the first version i did for this barrel was created with 32 segments on the cylinder.
There were less pinching issues, but after i though it was better to create a barrel with less polygon (start with 24 segments).
Because actually i have no idea how much we can smooth geometry for have a lowpoly model ready for games. I don't know whats it's allow to do regarding memory budget..

I will try this and come back later !

Thanks
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:18 am

I was just checking out your topic in the WIP section where I found that you have no new WIP because of this issue (I see I already replied it here haha) :)
So did you have the chance to work on this?, just curious ;)

In terms of budget; These days game engines can handle quite some tris really. Important is to keep it optimized where possible but at the same time have enough geo to avoid artifacts such as a very faceted look on a cylinder. So flat surfaces are primarily the areas to keep clean as much as possible, while the cylinders should have enough sides to support the highpoly cylinder model for baking.

In addition; It's also depending on how big the cylinder object is + if it will be clearly visible or not. In this case it is (in my opinion) one of the focal points of this revolver, so be sure to add enough sides to it (which will also help you with the insets which require a bit of extra geo to cut in without mega artifacts). Also the smoothness of the lowpoly will be corrected quite a bit with the highpoly so in some (not all!) cases it's ok to have a tiny shading error in your lowpoly, as long as the highpoly looks perfect :enlightened:

I'm not the big expert here so consider this is my personal approach and way of thinking ;)
Bruno743

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Hey Laggtastic ! Yes i worked on it, a bit, but i found a solution (not perfect), but i think that's should work !
Attachments
Barrel_Lowpoly.jpg
Barrel_Lowpoly.jpg (80.46 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Barrel_Highpoly.jpg
Barrel_Highpoly.jpg (76.72 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Bruno743

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:22 pm

What i did was, i used quadchamfer edge selection mod and untick ''quad intersection'', then i welded everything for keep all polygons quads (for the ''hat shape''). And then collapsed the quadchamfer modifier to the editable poly. (Barrel_Highpoly_Detail.jpg)

And for the rest of the model i used quadchamfer with edge selection mod and ''quad intersection'' ticked this time.

I know it's not the best way, because now i don't have control on my chamfers anymore, but this method achieve almost a perfect highpoly.
My main issue was this ''hat shape'' which create pinchings when use the traditionnal method (quadchamfer, smoothing groups, turbosmooth). By doing and collapsed the stack step by step it's way better than before.

As you can see there is still some distortion, but i think this is not a big deal ?! What do you think ? (Barrel_Highpoly_Distortion.jpg)
Attachments
Barrel_Highpoly_Distortion.JPG
Barrel_Highpoly_Distortion.JPG (42.14 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Barrel_Highpoly_Detail.JPG
Barrel_Highpoly_Detail.JPG (112.58 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Bruno743

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Now i solved this issue (or almost solved), i have an other problem :icon_uff:

An other pinching ! (i missed you my old friend...)

The bullet hole...
Attachments
Bullet_Hole_Issue.jpg
Bullet_Hole_Issue.jpg (78.41 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Bruno743

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:30 pm

I cannot add a segment this way because that's will break my roundness with the turbosmooth...
Attachments
Bullet_Hole_Issue_Try_01.jpg
Bullet_Hole_Issue_Try_01.jpg (73.45 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Bruno743

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:34 pm

So i tried this ! But obviously that's not the solution for this pinching...
Arrfff... Let's work on it....
Attachments
Bullet_Hole_Issue_Try_02.jpg
Bullet_Hole_Issue_Try_02.jpg (275.86 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Billabong

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Have a look at my post here and how i did my corners and edges. If that doesn't work, then you will need more edges around your cylindrical part.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1853

-B