Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Holes in geometry then to substance painter

Place for anything that has to do with 3D modeling or sculpting.
GroundZero

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:21 am

Hello guys,

quick question. When ever I cut 18 side holes in my model and connect a couple of vertexes, it looks perfectly in 3ds Max. Either in high and low poly.
The problem I have no is that when I export my model to OBJ and import it into Substance painter, the hole looks all messed up and distorted.

Does anyone know how I can fix this and -or knows a good tutorial on how to cut holes in your designs e.g. 18 side holes but also lower resolution holes?

A good example of what it looks like in Substance painter is this:

I hope someone can help me out on this matter and -or point me in the right direction so I can learn how to add holes (or other shapes) to my models.

EDIT: Another small thing would be that on the sharp edge of the knife (bottom) I get some extra "stuff" when I import it into Substance.
In 3ds Max it looks fine and sharp, and both sides of the sharp edge have their own smoothing group, but yet... some weird extra "stuff" is pushed out from the sharp edge.
Any way to fix this?
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Hmm that's quite some strange thing going on there :O
Never experienced this myself, so...just some guessing here, hole problem first:

- Are the models aligned correctly (I guess they are though)?
- Did you unwrap your model before / after you added the holes & connected edges? If you did that later, be sure to check the unwrap again.
- Have you tried exporting the models as FBX as well? If not; Give it a go :) (for highpoly you need to uncheck "Turbosmooth" in the FBX dialogue)
- Are the triangles also visible in the lowpoly (before baking the highpoly)?

Just some questions that raise up when looking at it, eventually you can re-do the Textools' "Smoothing groups from UV shells" operation, just to be sure that has been done :enlightened:

For the "stuff" you mention, it would be great if you can specify it a bit more with a closer look at that area where it occurs; The provided screenshot is quite small to actually see what is going on ^^
Let us know, I hope we can solve it :icon_thumbsfallout: