Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Modelling grip with real geometry

Place for anything that has to do with 3D modeling or sculpting.
arcmos

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi guys,
What’s the best way for modelling a grip structure lice this?

Laggtastic
Site Admin

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:31 pm

Hey there :)

Well I'm not going to say that this is the best way, as there are several ways to create patterns ^^
But as it's quite a simple pattern type, I'd go for this approach:

1: Make a (square) plane with quite some segments, in this example I have 20 segements. Once created: Convert it to an editable poly (or add an Edit Poly Modifier in case you prefer that)

2: Now, in the left of your screen, just above your viewport you should see a dropdown text menu called "Polygon Modeling", you see it's just above the viewport's text :)

3: From there, select "Generate Topology", you should now get a seperate window for that.

4: Go in Edge mode of your Edit(able) poly object and click in the "Topology" panel which you just opened, on the icon which says "Edge Direction" It's marked in the screenshot below :D
In the viewport you see the result. These are squares, but you can simply scale it as you like. Advice: Don't do this in object mode, stay in the editable poly mode! ;)
(in the screenshots after this one I stretched it a bit to match the shape of your image).

5: Now that's done, you can select the pattern in Polygon mode and apply a bevel (Bevel by Polygon) operation to that in order to get the depth.
It's up to you how you want your pattern to appear (sharp/not sharp, the amount of depth).

After that you can have fun with it, perhaps make a copy which you will be transforming rather than transforming this original pattern, just in case :enlightened:
If you want it to be highpoly, a quick way to do that is to set a low Autosmooth value so that each face gets it's own smoothing group, than you can apply a Chamfer modifier with the "From Smoothing: Unsmoothed edges" followed by a Turbosmooth modifier to make it look nice 'n smooth :icon_thumbsfallout: Hope this helps! :)

arcmos

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Perfect :ok:

Thank you Maikel