Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Post-Apocalyptic Fiat 147

Open a thread on whatever you are working on and receive feedback. Feel free to create one master thread.
DanteApple

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Here is a WIP of my upcoming project for a Post-Apocalyptic car for survive horror game.

Me as a modeler/texturer/animator and 2 other friends both programmers are working on a surviving horror, quite simple but enjoyable (we hope so).

So the first vehicle I decided to model for the project was a Fiat 147. This car is going to have a few variants like Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3.

Mesh is not smoothed and I still have plenty work to do.
Attachments
Fiat-2.jpg
Fiat-2.jpg (143.84 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Fiat-1.jpg
Fiat-1.jpg (184.83 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Tim
Site Admin

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:42 pm

Hey there Dante, that looks pretty cool! I just wonder, why don't you smooth it as you go? I think it's important to apply smoothing groups right away to already get that geometry right from the start. Also hard to really comment on it without wire frame view but other then that, look forward seeing your progress on this project!
DanteApple

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:04 pm

So here it goes another screen with the progress so far.

I'm starting to "fall" in that feeling once again, probabaly you guys have gone throught it sometime. It's something like "meh, this thing is shit, not sure if I'll finish it." And I keep modeling and its like "damn I'm doing all wrong, don't know how to do that thing".

And I get desmotivated.

But hey, let me know what you guys think of the progress, this car was initially to be playable, like a normal vehicle but I'm considering to make it a scenario prop of a old car destroyed.

Anyway, here is the picture.
Attachments
fiat_progress.jpg
fiat_progress.jpg (131.85 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Tim
Site Admin

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:28 pm

Hey Dante, yeah I think we all know this feeling but don't let it drag you down ;)

Okay .. thanks for posting the wires. My advice would be.. collapse some of these edges back that you have there. Work with as little edge loops as possible in the beginning.
You haven't started working on the complicated bits yet like the headlights, the doors etc. For that it's best to really keep your base mesh as flexible as it can be. With so many edges already you have a hard time changing stuff fast. So again, I'd step back a bit, trim the edge count down. Work with chamfer modifier + turbosmooth to toggle what it looks like as a highpoly as you work on it and slowly add edge loops where they matter. Put them only there where they really matter. You don't need to have so many yet on the hood and the roof where it's mostly flat. Later down the road you can them chamfer and add more loops to it. It's kinda hard to explain but I hope you understand what I mean.
DanteApple

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:31 pm

timbergholz wrote:Hey Dante, yeah I think we all know this feeling but don't let it drag you down ;)

Okay .. thanks for posting the wires. My advice would be.. collapse some of these edges back that you have there. Work with as little edge loops as possible in the beginning.
You haven't started working on the complicated bits yet like the headlights, the doors etc. For that it's best to really keep your base mesh as flexible as it can be. With so many edges already you have a hard time changing stuff fast. So again, I'd step back a bit, trim the edge count down. Work with chamfer modifier + turbosmooth to toggle what it looks like as a highpoly as you work on it and slowly add edge loops where they matter. Put them only there where they really matter. You don't need to have so many yet on the hood and the roof where it's mostly flat. Later down the road you can them chamfer them and add more to it. It's kinda hard to explain but I hope you understand what I mean.
I totally understood what you mean. Thank you for the advice, I'll try to reduce the amount of edges.

I was thinking in model it again, less edges and model the dore together, then detach only the door part.

Thank you very much for the advices.