Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

[UE4] Audio Venue Scene

Open a thread on whatever you are working on and receive feedback. Feel free to create one master thread.
Kanni
Site Admin

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:46 am

EDIT
Calling this one done - would love all the c&c + feedback!

Last edited by Kanni on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:52 am, edited 7 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Tim
Site Admin

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:25 am

Hey Kanni, that looks all really promising already ! Some nice modeling and props in that scene. I agree that the lights are going to be very important. The main challenge I see with your scene is to get those money shot renders! You want to make sure to show off your art in the best possible way for those uniquely modeled props you did so give every prop the proper focus it deserves per render. I take it the DJ is from some free library or did you do him yourself as well?

Either way, I think once you get to the taking screenshot or renders part, have a look at some of the great promotional images out there and just copy them. I do it all the time with my work, i look up actual product shots and start replicating it as much as possible.

For instance for the mixing table I'd put the depth of field and post processing to something like that (I'm quite liking these purple / blue colors as well and I see you already got them a bit like that in your current scene):

I also find google images very useful for finding those inspirational images by searching "by color". Gives a good idea for which kind of look you wanna go.

Look forward seeing your progress on it!
Kanni
Site Admin

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:10 am

timbergholz wrote:Hey Kanni, that looks all really promising already ! Some nice modeling and props in that scene. I agree that the lights are going to be very important. The main challenge I see with your scene is to get those money shot renders! You want to make sure to show off your art in the best possible way for those uniquely modeled props you did so give every prop the proper focus it deserves per render. I take it the DJ is from some free library or did you do him yourself as well?

Either way, I think once you get to the taking screenshot or renders part, have a look at some of the great promotional images out there and just copy them. I do it all the time with my work, i look up actual product shots and start replicating it as much as possible.

For instance for the mixing table I'd put the depth of field and post processing to something like that (I'm quite liking these purple / blue colors as well and I see you already got them a bit like that in your current scene):

I also find google images very useful for finding those inspirational images by searching "by color". Gives a good idea for which kind of look you wanna go.

Look forward seeing your progress on it!

Thanks for the helpful input, Tim :D. Defintely once the scene is done, the other challenge is getting just perfect angle along with post-proc/dof.

Oh and the character i have in the scene is just the default ue4 mannequin guy, used just for scale, heh.
ImageImageImage
Tim
Site Admin

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Cool Kanni! Look forward seeing the scene coming together! Ahh yes.. somehow looked familiar that character :D
Kanni
Site Admin

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:39 am

Onto some texturing :)Image Image
ImageImageImage
Tim
Site Admin

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:37 pm

Hey Kanny, that looks great! Cool seeing it come together like that. Loving the glowing bits, makes for a really nice looking prop. Crazy to think that there are people out there that know exactly how to operate a piece like that haha. Maybe add a few finger prints to the texture for some of the close ups later on? :)
Kanni
Site Admin

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:23 am

They aren't hard to operate at all actually... just a lot of knobs :P.

That sorta detail definitely slipped by me, I added lots more 'clean' parts from dust being wiped off from skin contact, and finger prints. And some masking tape to label what each channel does - common audio guy thing to do.

ImageImageImage
Kanni
Site Admin

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:34 am

Onwards with texturing :D

ImageImageImage
Tim
Site Admin

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:17 am

Hey Kanni, that really comes together well!! I like the attention to detail to all the small props.

They all look great but I particular like this box because of its many hard and softer shapes merging together as a whole. Great work!

Can't wait to see that final composition! :) :icon_think:
Kanni
Site Admin

Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:14 am

Long time, no post. Here's some updates to the lighting, and added a couple new meshes to the scene :)
Been really stressing on the lighting, but it's seeming to take shape. Tweaking it a bit more before putting in some final meshes (piping, hvac, cabling...)

ImageImageImage