Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

1847 Colt .44 Percussion Pistol

Open a thread on whatever you are working on and receive feedback. Feel free to create one master thread.
JEmerson

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Realized I hadn't yet created a thread for this pistol that I am working on. Let me introduce you to the 1847 Colt pistol. A .44 calibre percussion black-powder 6 round pistol that packs a hell of a punch. Made famous in modern times by Clint Eastwood as Josey Whales. Currently working on refining shapes of the low-poly before refining the high-poly to be more accurate. What you see is simply a quick high-poly pass to know if I am on the right direction or not. I am making this based off of a set of blueprints, and as such am taking the time to create the internals of the pistol as well. For a game resolution pistol I would naturally remove the internal work (which is fairly minimal as far as firearms go), but for portfolio work this will be just fine. I will also be showing a disassembled version as well when complete, as well as a second version of the magazine that is converted for .44 shell cased rounds to show the evolution somewhat.
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Seems a pretty cool project to me, also quite interesting to read and looking forward to see those internals & disassembled parts :3Dlove:

Looks like you're well on your way already, maybe it might look like this on my screen (and as it is still W.I.P. it could also be that you will adjust it later):
Some edges feel quite sharp for a highpoly model, such as the main body part, where the barrels are being connected.

Looking forward to see how this model will evolve in a super cool result :) :icon_thumbsfallout:
carlos.war

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:21 am

well done job i hope to see finished
Tim
Site Admin

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:30 am

Looking good JEmerson and great project choice this one, gotta love those old revolvers. Look forward seeing it come along too! :icon_sunny:
JEmerson

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 am

Just sharing an update. Progress is slow due to sooooo many competing projects. But work continues on this one.
JEmerson

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Made some serious progress on the receiver today.
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Awesome update man, gotta love those smooth corners by the way :3Dlove:
That material you applied to it define the shapes pretty awesome as well, including those reflective areas popping through :realization:

Looking forward to see further progress :icon_partyparrot_e:
JEmerson

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:13 am

A little more progress on the HP. Got the magazine nearly completed. The hammer is also nearly complete. Now I just have to get the screws on the back of the frame in place and the booleans cuts made correctly. From there, I can FINALLY start the internals work. YAY! After that I'm going to go back in and re-do my high poly edge widths. Then onto the low poly and on-and-on-and-on it goes.
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:59 pm

That's yet again another cool update man! I can definitely see you already put quite some work in there, and yea...allways it goes on-and-on but at the end you get something which is totally worth all the effort :realization: Have a great time with those internals and some touch-ups on the exterior HP, + of course in advance have fun with the lowpoly process as well :D :thumbsup_dude:
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Superb work man!
Regarding the renders I feel the HDRI that's reflected in the material is a little distracting/unappealing. At first I thought it might be some artifacting, maybe some softer studio lighting would present the model nicer?
Anyway, great hopes for how this will turn out. :hamster_dance: :hamster_dance:
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks