Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Mossberg 500 revisited

Open a thread on whatever you are working on and receive feedback. Feel free to create one master thread.
geno
Site Admin

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:31 am

Revisiting my very first model! :) I don't even want to show what it used to look like, but here I am giving it the same treatment I did for the HK P7M8: reworked a lot of bad geometry, re-mapped, re-baked, and now texturing.

First progress shots; hope to finish tomorrow night.

:typing: :icon_coffee:
Walker

Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:34 pm

noice :+1:
Tim
Site Admin

Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:35 am

Very nice work Geno, the only thing that I would try to add a bit more contrast to is the wood which is a bit too plasticy right now for my tast.
I think right now it looks slightly too polished where it could benefit from a bit more... woodiness ;)

You could always try to overlay some procedural fiber texture (that painter comes with) and give it a slight different gloss value.
Also some more damage on the wood that is carved in a bit like that one scratch here: (which then could also have lesser gloss)

More Samples
Kanni
Site Admin

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:25 am

Lovely bakes, great work!

Show the before ;)
ImageImageImage
geno
Site Admin

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. Didn't get much done today.
Tim wrote:Very nice work Geno, the only thing that I would try to add a bit more contrast to is the wood which is a bit too plasticy right now for my tast.
I think right now it looks slightly too polished where it could benefit from a bit more... woodiness ;)

You could always try to overlay some procedural fiber texture (that painter comes with) and give it a slight different gloss value.
Also some more damage on the wood that is carved in a bit like that one scratch here: (which then could also have lesser gloss)
Yes that was very early/basic wood material. But I did just that :icon_yes: I think the grain is a tad too contrasted. Lots of tweaking remain, but it's shaping up nicely.

Ignore the trigger guard, trigger, and cartridge elevator: all off color/material at the moment. And the bolt on mine is quite filthy, so I'll dirty this one up shortly.
Tim wrote:More Samples
I actually have one in my lap :D And the wood has very short, fine, not very noticeable grain inside a rather glossy coat. But I didn't want to make this type of wood anyway; I don't like the way the regular Mossberg wood furniture looks, so I'll just imagine that my model has a custom one :)
Kanni wrote:Lovely bakes, great work!

Show the before ;)
Thanks, Kanni.

Okay fine. Just for you, Kanni :violin:
(I'll delete this link in 24 hours; the internet shall not keep this on record, unlike the Beyonce horse face photo her team tried to "erase from the internet" lol)
Kanni
Site Admin

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:34 pm

geno wrote:Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. Didn't get much done today.
Tim wrote:Very nice work Geno, the only thing that I would try to add a bit more contrast to is the wood which is a bit too plasticy right now for my tast.

Yes that was very early/basic wood material. But I did just that :icon_yes: I think the grain is a tad too contrasted. Lots of tweaking remain, but it's shaping up nicely.

Ignore the trigger guard, trigger, and cartridge elevator: all off color/material at the moment. And the bolt on mine is quite filthy, so I'll dirty this one up shortly.
Tim wrote:More Samples
I actually have one in my lap :D And the wood has very short, fine, not very noticeable grain inside a rather glossy coat. But I didn't want to make this type of wood anyway; I don't like the way the regular Mossberg wood furniture looks, so I'll just imagine that my model has a custom one :)
Kanni wrote:Lovely bakes, great work!

Show the before ;)
Thanks, Kanni.

Okay fine. Just for you, Kanni :violin:
(I'll delete this link in 24 hours; the internet shall not keep this on record, unlike the Beyonce horse face photo her team tried to "erase from the internet" lol)
Hehehe. Just like seeing how much of an overhaul was needed by contrast. I've seen much worse 'first bake ever" that people were proud of. ;)
ImageImageImage
geno
Site Admin

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:34 pm

For the future, how would one best optimize the topology of this part? I feel like I have a lot of unnecessary edges here.

geno
Site Admin

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:39 am

Getting closer. Here it is without most of the accessories

Tim
Site Admin

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:51 am

Woah, you are really on a roll these days! Looks great as usual Geno, I really dig the wood now ! :)
What are you going to do next? Revamp your MP5 or something? :D

Haha good having the reference in the lap..

To answer your question about the topology, it's really just a matter of connecting the lowpoly as something like that:
geno
Site Admin

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:41 am

Ah, makes sense. Thanks, Tim :)
Tim wrote:Woah, you are really on a roll these days! Looks great as usual Geno, I really dig the wood now ! :)
What are you going to do next? Revamp your MP5 or something? :D
Haha, I wish... it is my favorite gun :icon_lol:

Finished the Mossberg tonight. Continuing the roll tomorrow! :D

More on artstation