Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

"Customized" M4

Open a thread on whatever you are working on and receive feedback. Feel free to create one master thread.
AiLeiKe

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:47 am

Hey guys!

Started working on a new project. I'm making an M4 with some custom parts here and there. I'll try to make most of the interior parts as well.
I want to make a quite detailed model but I'll still try to keep the poly count low. I might make a texture set for each major component so I can work on UV/textures before the whole mesh is done since I want to work on my texturing.

Here's my progress so far (Low poly) :

JEmerson

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:28 pm

This is gonna be good. :icon_partyparrot_e:
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Guns with interiors are super bad-ass so you got my attention there :) :icon_thumbsfallout:
The custom approach sounds good as well, so it's a bit your own design based on the M4 as a base to work from? :)

Absolutely looking forward to see what your plans are regarding this custom M4 :icon_thumbsfallout:
AiLeiKe

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:36 am

Yeah, that's the idea behind it. I'm still going to base most of the design on an M4. For the moment, I had in mind to change the bolt loader and the upper receiver so the carrier fits. Also wanted to make some changes on the rail. This is a side project so progress might be slow.

Here are some updates :

I auto smoothed everything so there might be some shading issues. I'm almost done with the lower receiver just missing the second sear for the full auto function, the bolt catch and those springs that are attached to the hammer.
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 pm

Super cool project!
Out of interest are you purely going for detail, or are you still aiming for a complex, game-ready asset? I love to see the guts of these sexy beasts, got really high hopes for this one. :coolpartyparrot:
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
AiLeiKe

Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:03 am

I'm aiming for a game ready model, but if the poly count is too high, I'll probably do 2 versions one with all the details and one that is game ready with only the necessary parts.
AiLeiKe

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Hey everyone!

I've finally finished the high and low poly. It took a while.. :notquitesure: Here are some quick renders of the low and high polys. The low poly has 54,589 tris. Any feedback and suggestions are welcomed!

Low poly

Closer look at some parts

High Poly

Wires

carlos.war

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:57 am

Great Project :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
AiLeiKe

Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks Carlos! I've just finished the UVs.

carlos.war

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks man for post this the uvs looks good but for a future let me give to you a tip, try to maintain the same orientation on every uv island at least for each objects or big objects. is not a main problem you know but this is something you want to do it because later texture department maybe will bleed from that. if you maintain the same orientation always the texture process will flow nicely and secure. anyways i dont know if you want to do this just for fun but back in time i do the same way disoriented and maybe 3 or 4 lasts projects i did it oriented and did my best in every step and now i can tell you will noticed that tiny difference when you work on texure.

By another hand i think this is a good UV all square and lineal parts looks straighten this is good so i wait with high expectations to see it finished.. good work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
AiLeiKe wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:25 pm
Thanks Carlos! I've just finished the UVs.