Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Selling models on Unity Asset Store, Cubebrush, etc.

Whatever doesn't fit in the above categories. Extra points for keeping it SFW and politics free.
Basajaun

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi!

I've been trying to find a job for six months now but so far no luck. Since I'm spending so many hours working on my portfolio, I've been considering that I might as well try to make some money by selling some of that stuff in places such as the Unity Asset Store. Those of you who have had models for sale, would you say it is worth it? what are in your opinion the best sites? Personally I'm only familiar with the aforementioned Unity Store, Turbosquid, Gumroad and Cubebrush, any others you know of? One thing that has me a bit discouraged is that I've been taking a look around and I've seen good quality weapons for very low prices ($20 and below) which makes me think I will have to pretty much give my models away :icon_miffed: I was thinking on selling the IWI Tavor to begin with, just to see how it does. What do you guys think? Is it worth the trouble? In your opinion, how much should I sell it for?

Thanks in advance :)
Sendoa Bergasa - 3D Artist
Artstation | Facebook | LinkedIn
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:52 pm

I personally haven't sold anything, but as you probably know I'm preparing a pistol for sale. So I can't really give any feedback on what it's like but only what I think it'll be like. My direct competition on the Unreal Marketplace would be IronBelly studios, who have the same pistol for sale, rigged and animated. It looks pretty good, and is sold for as you mentioned a fairly low price ~$20. So if anyone were to buy something I made instead of them, it would have to be either cheaper, or better in some manner which of course takes more work or it means you earn less.

In my opinion I don't really mind slaving away to make something really good if I know I'm slowly going to improve more and more. Animating is something I haven't really done before and it has given me an extra bit of experience under my belt because of this. I'm also working on my own game project which will definitely need both animating, complex materials and more which all have to be done by me anyway. And in the end, if I sell this weapon whether it's a low price or not, it's going to be up there and anyone could buy it at anytime. It's not a guaranteed income but it means you might be able to get some money every so often. It definitely seems like an attractive way to go if you don't have a job or some form of income.
I also like to think about who the people who might buy from me might be, probably not some studio who has a large budget for a game. More likely to be small indie devs or even independent devs, and when you think about how many guns the average game has it might add up. So a low price is just more accessible to more people.

A lot of your stuff is really good and is definitely worth buying especially since some of the weapons you make seem to be a bit less common so there'd be less competition. Animation is also not necessary as you might know for example with Tim's weapon collection. As far as I know there's no payment barrier for submitting stuff to the marketplace, so I don't see much reason why not.
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
Basajaun

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:42 pm

You made some good points, thanks :)

I'm assuming it is ok to sell a model through multiple sites, are you going to put your pistol in other sites apart from the Unreal Marketplace?
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Yeah I don't see why you can't sell it on Unity, Unreal and CryEngine all together. Personally I'll probably only put it on Unreal, I'm not that bothered about sales and it would mean that the other markets would have slight disadvantages if I prepared stuff like materials and such that are only compatible with Unreal. Selling the gun itself (So just the .fbx and the textures and/or animations) without anything that is dependent on the engine you're selling for would take the least amount of work.
Make love, not war.

siks
Site Admin

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:25 am

Oh yeah, one little thing regarding animations. Most sellers on Unreal make the animations using the standard Unreal skeleton to maximize compatibility. You probably can't sell animations for the Unreal skeleton on a Unity store for obvious reasons. You'd have to make them specifically for the Unity standard skeleton if there is such a thing, or use your own skeleton alltogether.
Make love, not war.

Basajaun

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:33 pm

I have another question, this time regarding gun names and whatnot. I'm assuming I can't use the logos or names of the manufacturing companies in the weapons I sell but what about the actual names of the weapons? For example, in my IWI Tavor SAR I won't be using the IWI logo or name, I'll just make an original one, but what about the name "Tavor" itself? is that copyrighted? should I also call my rifle something else?

Thank you.
siks
Site Admin

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:55 pm

Back from vacation? :icon_partyparrot_e:
I can't really speak much in this. Logos and company names are often excluded/changed up like Tim does. Purely for selling I think you can have the weapon name as most people do on the market but I'm not sure about on the weapon itself. If I remember right Tim changed the 'P90' on his model to something else, I haven't worked for any studios, which is who would mainly be concerned with this kind of stuff. Maybe Tim can help with this.
Purely for this I've added an option to disable the logo and/or text on what I'm selling, it's mostly pointless as I doubt anyone will enable them but I just put the option there anyway. I'd say exclude, modify or replace these things with something else just for ease of mind or whatever, though I really doubt anyone's been sued or gotten in trouble for this.
Make love, not war.

Tim
Site Admin

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:48 pm

Sorry for replying so late here. Let me just sum up my experiences with selling models :)

Most money I make over at unity marketplace and it's also the easiest setup in terms of getting your stuff up on it.
It's a simple matter of setting up in the editor and then submitting it through it. With unreal marketplace you have to zip the file, upload on google drive and send it to epic who review it then.
Of course Unity also has a review progress but it just makes it easier to submit.

You certainly want to get rid of any logos and names of actual weapons, that is a requirement on any marketplace or else it will get rejected.
On Unreal marketplace I was told that usually they only allow sales of weapons that are fully rigged and animated. Something I couldn't provide for them but they made an exception because of the sheer amount of weapons I had. So I basically just blueprinted it all together in the editor, made a small scene for display and that worked for them. You can check out the video I made here of how I set it up: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8

Unreal maketplace sales have been a bit disappointing for me. The only time I make sales there are during summer or winter sale or whatever sales they got.
On unity however I get a steady stream of sales which is very nice, add these special sale events on top and I really can't complain. I think I actually make more money with these assets then with the tutorials or at least 50% :) The only other marketplace worth mentioning is CGTrader, I get a lot of sales on there and sometimes also through my own gumroad page but not as much as CGTrader (natually since they already got a big userbase).
Basajaun

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:20 pm

Rigged AND animated??? :icon_huh: And how much are they expecting for you to charge for that? I mean, that's an insane amount of work for a $20-30 asset!!! I guess Unity will have to do for the time being, and maybe CGTrader since you mentioned it. Thanks for stopping by Tim :thumbsup:

As I mentioned in the Minimi thread, I submitted the Tavor SAR a couple of weeks ago to the Unity Store but I haven't heard from them yet (fingers crossed).
Tim
Site Admin

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Basajaun wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:20 pm
Rigged AND animated??? :icon_huh: And how much are they expecting for you to charge for that? I mean, that's an insane amount of work for a $20-30 asset!!! I guess Unity will have to do for the time being, and maybe CGTrader since you mentioned it. Thanks for stopping by Tim :thumbsup:

As I mentioned in the Minimi thread, I submitted the Tavor SAR a couple of weeks ago to the Unity Store but I haven't heard from them yet (fingers crossed).
Hmm a couple of weeks is really odd.. maybe send them a follow up email? That should go faster. And yeah I also find the expectations from Epic too high :icon_no: