Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

PC Parts for SP 2017

Whatever doesn't fit in the above categories. Extra points for keeping it SFW and politics free.
Nathan_is_cool

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello. I am thinking about buying a pc soon and I am wondering if anyone knows what computer parts help with baking. I half to wait painfully long times for my mac to bake textures. Would more ram help or a better processor or even the gpu?
Tim
Site Admin

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Hey Nathan, I'd go for plenty of Ram but also keep in mind that AO map and Thickness map will always take a hell of a long time to bake.
I usually bake these two with 2x2 antialiasing (and secondary rays set to a 256) which will minimize the baking time a lot. All other maps you can bake with 8x8.

Other then that my PC is 2 years old now and wasn't the most expensive when I bought it. A good GPU is certainly recommended for Painter and Max.
Nathan_is_cool

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:13 am

Thanks. I can finally try out 3DS Max (it's not available on mac :icon_madcat: ). Right now, gpu prices are so high, and the ones that are out are not in stock. Just look up gtx 1070 in amazon, everything is out of stock. Thanks again! What do you think of this hospital evironment so far (just the waiting room). The water dispenser will get opacity. I made the 3d models in blender, textured with photoshop and sp 2017. The engine is unity free. Thanks for any feedback :)
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:30 am

You need about 256gb of ram and 1 or 4 GTX Titan XPs. That's if you want more than 1 layer in 4k. :thumbsup_dude:
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
Nathan_is_cool

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:26 pm

So another question. Do you guys have a workstation gpu, or does a regular gaming gpu work fine with 3Ds Max and SP 2017?
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:45 pm

I have 16gb of ram and a 980ti (equivalent to a 1070 now). It's not like rendering a movie, you don't need a really intense rig. I'm sure you could probably make massive projects with tonnes of layers and run it fine in 2k. 4k is 4 times as hard to run than 2k so it's understandable why it would quickly start to lag up. I like to work in 4k because I paint a lot, and if there's a speckle of dust I'm painting in, I want to see it. Personally I'd gladly accept another 16gb of ram, I've seen substance use over 10gb in many scenarios and I'm sure it could use more if it had some. I've read that most of the workload is on the GPU, so that's what you'll depend on when you want fast results on the screen. But don't skimp out on ram, if you use all your ram up it's not only substance that will freeze over but pretty much your entire PC and that just leaves you sitting there twiddling your thumbs. The processor is the only grey area I don't know about. I doubt it needs too much of the processor since since the GPU takes on most of the work.
:icon_partyparrot_e:
:icon_partyparrot_top:
Make love, not war.

Nathan_is_cool

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:44 am

So does your 980ti work well in 4K in SP 2017? Like no waiting forever to apply a smart mask etc.
siks
Site Admin

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:26 am

It really depends how many layers and components you add (fill, levels, so on..). I usually have around 100 layers in a single project, with most masks having at least 2 or 3 components, sometimes up to 10 or 15. That's a lot of stuff, so yes it starts to lag when you try to make changes. The thing is the entire material isn't rebuilt when you just tweak a single setting, only whatever is above it. So usually if you want to edit something (like the metal underneath the paint of a weapon) you could just disable the layers above (like dirt, dust, filters and so on) and edit it without any delay. Of course you can also switch to mask view (by alt+clicking a mask of a layer) which will let you edit masks much faster than material view, there's lots of ways of increasing performance. There's no real answer, you can make it lag no matter what hardware you have. It all depends on how you work. I'd say something like a 980 ti is perfectly fine for working in SP. I remember back when 900 series was coming out or was already out the 780ti dropped to about half the price (£300), so you could probably get a 900 series for much cheaper than a 1000 series now.
Make love, not war.

ajop123

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:22 am

Hii Nathan_is_cool!

If you will buy your PC parts then please give me reviews about it so I could buy some computer accessories.
hi-man

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:51 pm

About Painter. Devs said that Painter need good GPU and as much graphic memory as possible. So i recommend you to buy graphic card starting with GTX 1060 6gb or equivalent. My brand new Palit GTX 1060 6G Jetstream (which i consider as a best model in 1060 series) is arriving in a couple of days so i will test it up. And ofcourse 16 gb of RAM is standart now in 2k17 so i dont recommend to buy something smaller.