Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Off to a Jean Michel Jarre Concert

Whatever doesn't fit in the above categories. Extra points for keeping it SFW and politics free.
two_larsens

Mon May 22, 2017 2:36 pm

So, as the title implies, we are off to a Jean Michel Jarre concert, which will be happening in downtown Chicago (Auditorium). We've had tickets since Jan., so it has been something to look forward to for sure. It should be really cool and interesting, since I've been a fan since a child. It was one of those things I always hoped would happen, but hadn't - till this evening, so that is great. For some reason, the US hasn't been a venue to those concerts (not since Houston in the 1980s), but that has now changed. Anyway, I thought I'd mention it, in case someone is interested, as I believe he's doing a US tour. I'm very sure I am not the only nerd on here ;)

H
Tim
Site Admin

Mon May 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Hey Henrik, can't say I ever heard of him but just tuned in and sounds pretty cool :D

Sounds video gamey so I guess that's why you made the nerdy reference :thumbsup_dude:

Enjoy !
two_larsens

Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Hey Tim,

Jarre is about the biggest deal there is in music, but is much more so in Europe - hence me knowing about him :) He's had the biggest crowds, with literally a million plus many times. Anyway, this US tour has been much smaller, which suits me fine, and it ended up as a full Auditorium. It was a great experience. There were lots of foreigners (like me) - mostly France (of course), but also Spain, Italy and Russia. Very nice. We were on the 3rd row - right there - literally. My wife, who only knew about him through me, was quite bowled over. Jarre was very gracious and thankful, which I thought was nice, and he even played the notorious laser harp, which was so cool. So, it was a thing ticked off my bucket list, but it was so great it went back on the bucket list :) I will never be done with that darn list like this :)

If there are any who are interested in hearing his music, I'll recommend his first album, Oxygene, leading up to the 3rd Oxygene, which came out last year, going from 1976, I believe, till now. Again, it is in a way nerdy, but it is awesome, and it is where a lot of game music has come from - music in general, in its form and style.

Cheers!

H
Maxime Dupart

Tue May 30, 2017 11:20 pm

I might be biased as i'm French, but i guess Jean Michel Jarre represent some kind of milestone in sample based/electronical music.

His album Oxygène dates back to 1976, as a comparison, the other french electronic music duo Daft Punk's members were barely born when Jean Michel Jarre was already experimenting with samplers, modulators and what not ! Crazy.

The 70s were just insane for music, in 73 it was Pink Floyd with Dark side of the Moon, damn!