Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Animating Tim's Weapon !

Whatever doesn't fit in the above categories. Extra points for keeping it SFW and politics free.
Maxime Dupart

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:59 am

Allright, i'm back to work on Tim's amazing weapon!

Before going further i had to polish my current FPS system to handle the various weapon customization possible.

Brief introduction to my FPS project:

For the past year i have been working on creating a FPS system that will take the best of both world out of current FPS technology, aka true-first person and flying-arms model.
Battlefield and Rainbow Six Siege are adding some legs to your body, but they don't mean anything at all, and are not positioned like the legs other players watching you would see.
Might be stupid but all those tiny thing put together means that you don't have a clear understanding of your character position in the world, on the map. You think you're hidden, but your foot can actually be seen, your weapon is clipping trough walls, etc etc..

I love true-first person level of immersion but i always felt the controls were awful with unwanted shaking happening all over the place, and weapons position relying heavily on animations quality, instead of smooth procedural quality of flying arm model.
For instance a classic unwanted camera shake usually happens during turn in place animations, when your character realign his feet with its current character forward axis, while turning beyond a given axis value.
For that reason, a lot of true first person game disable turn in place while ADS for instance (PUBG).

There's actually a lot of issues to make true first person work, a lot of way to get away with half answers to those problems.

What i have come up with is a stabilized true first person system which can blend seamlessly at runtime between a fully stabilized Battlefield-like FPS experience to a fully animations driven True-first person experience.

The only other game doing something similar right now is Star Citizen, the 150M$+ Kickstarter Scifi game.

While Star Citizen is stabilizing the head, my stabilization system works over your entire spine, neck, and head at runtime.
I had to reinvent a bit of everything to make it work in my system, even the simpliest thing, but now i'm really happy with the level of result i achieve.
The remaining things left are weapon customization with scope and grip (weapon damage and recoil finetuning), a lot of UI work and quality map creation.
I'm using a CSGO-like recoil system on all weapon (for the recoil pattern i mean), was pretty funny to see R6S making the jump to something similar too.
I've put together a nice destruction replication system that can really go beyond R6S while being more fair with network delays.

In the video below i'm testing some realtime global illumination with voxelisation in Unreal Engine, which kills performance tbh. Shadows looks awful, but you get to see a bit of my system and a couple of Tim's Weapon!
Forgot to show it in video below but you also control your character speed with the mouse wheel, in the spirit of Escape from Tarkov.

Usually we're pretty limited on PC with merely a walk/Run/Sprint toggle system. Speed on mouse wheel allow to blend between walk and run as you please. It's really cool, a bit like you were using a controller Pad.

What i'm gonna do over the next few days is setting up 3/4 sights on all Primary weapon from Tim and adding them to my current customization/Spawn screen.
The core game i'm looking for is really similar to R6S in a lot of way, in a futuristic setup. But i'm also considering adding a game mode with maybe more player and a respawn system.
The core R6S experience with no respawn is just too hard for casual gamers, and with all the innovation i've put into my game, i guess i have a unique experience to offer to casual FPS players too.

edit:
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 am

These are really interesting game concepts and I'm glad to see there are people who feel like this is a better way forward. I completely agree how limiting your perception of your player character can be in most modern games, it's only acceptable with the level of technology and power we have to make things as realistic as it can go until it becomes the standard for most FPS games.
This is really awesome to see and it looks very well done. I have to wish you luck on this project, I like the look of it so far. :thumbsup_dude:
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
Tim
Site Admin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Wow Maxime, you sure put a lot of thought into that and you are right it helps the immersion without a doubt! Even in these prototype stages it already looks pretty damn realistic.
It's great seeing your project evolve, thanks for keeping us updated on it and honored you are using my guns for it! :icon_sunny:
Maxime Dupart

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Allright, i've the customization up and running rock solid with a nice authoritative server and a cool and efficient UI (might have been the hardest part).
Was quite tricky to properly handle player preferences/loadouts persistence between games, in my Rainbow Six Siege/"Operators-like" application.

Now is time for some fine-tuning of those Sights !
I want to have at least 3 scopes by primary weapon, i'm using Tim's work exclusively for this so i had to 'craft' an ironsight for this P90 that will probably hurts artists feelings :D
Also i'll have to adjust the weapon position with those sights, it takes too much space on the screen. I'm currently testing 2/3 technology for the scope lens/targeting.

A Reference picture from R6S:

Tim
Site Admin

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Hey Maxime! Man sorry have not seen that any earlier. Looking great, nice mood in these screenshots and good to see the P90 with the Acog on :coolpartyparrot: :hamster_dance: Keep up the good work!
Maxime Dupart

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Oh boy, just as i came back after a while you posted a couple days ago :icon_clappedi:

Project still moving forward of course. Lots of challenges, lots of solutions to craft. I'm testing some head control right now. I had to develop some tools to adjust all my animations 'on the fly'.
It's really cool and allow me to fine-tune a lot of stuff to achieve even greater result. Right now i'm working on some procedural firing animation, the system isn't hooked yet but should be done over this week.

Tried to handle the firing of weapons with animations mostly so far, but i'm not happy with the result, i guess the best result will be achieve by a mix of procedural-driven recoil/animation coupled with some localized purely aesthetic firing animations.

I'm also trying to import your texture into substance painter, see if i can apply a couple decal and some fancy effects to make the various weapon aesthetically more relevant in a futuristic (around 2040) setup.

siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Really awesome update!

From a pure aesthetics standpoint, when the gun leaves the screen whilst looking around or running it feels extremely empty. I'm not sure what you could really do to combat that without having the gun follow the screen, but I just felt that stood out a little bit.

For firing what I did, and I'm sure other studios do, is make a couple variants of a firing animation and play a random one each time, that gives you quite a nice amount of variation when you have a couple on top of that some on the fly recoil or weapon sway like you mentioned. I think currently the firing looks a little too subtle, but that might've been because the player was walking whilst shooting. I think maybe you should get more power on the animation side.

I'm interested, do you know any good places to learn how to use IKs within Unreal? Haven't had the chance but really want to get into it soon.
Make love, not war.

Maxime Dupart

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks for your feedback siks ! When the camera is moving around, i'm actually moving the head of my character.

I won't have the arms following the screen because the character i'm controlling and the character other players are seeing when looking at me, are the same.

In reality it would mean having the weapon staying just under your nose even when looking around, i know it's what other FPS games are doing for decades but it defeats the purpose of immersion imo :thinking:

I'm self-learned on UE4 IK etc.. can't think of a source that would be more relevant than the other, i had to code some new tools in the engine to achieve this anyway so most of the time i reading UE4 engine API.
siks
Site Admin

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:26 pm

I see. I totally agree with the weapon being below whilst the player is looking around, it just felt somewhat empty in the screen. I'm not sure if you could place the shoulders or the arms in the view, but I imagine it would be a nightmare considering it's using the full body. I guess I'm just too used to the generic FPS style. Either way I definitely like where you're headed with the immersion and realism! :hamster_dance:
Make love, not war.

Maxime Dupart

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks Siks !

Unifying 3rd person and first person is a bit of a nightmare i've to admit.
The thing i don't like with the weapon disappearing when you run is that you lose the visual clue about which weapon you have currently equipped. I'm not 100% sure on how i'm gonna end-up solving this. Might be with UI , not arbitrated yet ! :thinking: