Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

How do you manage your time to learn all of this?

Whatever doesn't fit in the above categories. Extra points for keeping it SFW and politics free.
Kamil

Tue May 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Hey guys, there is a thing that is bothering me. Right now, I work 8 hours a day, and still I want to learn 3d stuff after work. And I'm in point where I've got a long list of software to learn.

My point is, I don't know if I'm not spreading myself too thin, instead of picking one new software and try to master it.

Right now I'm in a middle of UE4 tutorial, I did some fast model for texturing practice in Quixel/Substance, sometimes I make something in substance designer, I want to sculpt in Zbrush etc. I tried to do like schedule (monday: texturing, tuesday: zbrush etc.) but I'm not always in the mood for particular thing.
So guys, what is your approach? I don't want to waste time, and be as good as I can. I know it's a long road, so I want to do it right :icon_partyparrot_deal:
JEmerson

Tue May 16, 2017 5:51 pm

This is something that I struggle with daily, as I get spread thin very quickly between all of my commitments. The best advice I can give to you is to use SMART goals. By using this type of methodology and approach to your 3D, you will be able to more accurately track your progress in learning and improvement.

Quick rundown on what SMART goals are:
(1) Specific - Be specific; I will create completed, hard-surface, major props with textures
(2) Measurable - Measure your output; 1 completed major prop with textures every 2-3 weeks
(3) Achievable - Is this attainable? If so, how? E.g., I will use 3ds Max and Substance Painter. If I do not know something, I will research it first on Chamferzone, then on Polycount, then on Youtube, then on Google until an answer is found or I adapt another solution to my model.
(4) Relevant - Is this model relevant to my goal (e.g., become an entry-level hard-surface artist in the games industry)
(5) Time - How long will this take me? What is my target completion date? E.g., 2-3 weeks is the timeframe to complete this goal.

The second thing is to do your best at constantly producing work. It is difficult because motivation increases and wanes; there are many times where you simply grow tired of one project and want to move onto the next without completing the first. Finish your work. Even if you are demotivated to do so, still finish it. You can create as many high quality pieces of work, but will never (if it is your goal) attain employment if your work is not completed. So for you, I might set a goal like this:

"I will complete 1 major, hard-surface prop with textures and implement it into Unreal Engine within 3 weeks; work for 30 minutes - 1 hour every other day, and 2 hours on weekend days; using 3ds Max and Substance Painter."

This gives you a goal that is achievable, measurable, specific, and also tells you the minimum amount of time you will spend on it, and what days you will do so. The other benefit is that it will help prevent subject-matter burnout from occurring because you are time bound both in the short-term (daily) and long-term (Time).