Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Geometry issue with Tim's MK18 in UE?

Whatever doesn't fit in the above categories. Extra points for keeping it SFW and politics free.
jakelear

Wed May 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Hey all,
I tried to reach out directly on Facebook, but it occurred to me I might have better luck on the forums. I purchased the complete pack of Tim's guns and I'm hoping to implement them into my Unreal Engine prototype. However, in attempting to use the Mk18, I noticed some weird pinching when just importing the FBX as an asset. This is visible both with and without the material, as seen in the screenshots. I noticed that where this pinching occurs, there are poles with 4-5 triangles meeting at one vertex, and I'm wondering if that is the issue (or if anyone else has dealt with these issues). It's possible that I'm doing something wrong on import, or just that UE doesn't like the geometry. Hoping someone has some advice on how to resolve this. The assets are beautiful in renders, but these in-engine issues are bumming me out.

Laggtastic
Site Admin

Thu May 03, 2018 4:57 pm

Hey there,

Obviously I'm not Tim, but still I'd like to check in with you and see what could be the cause.
I'm to be honest not an experienced UE4 user (used Unity so far primarily) but ...perhaps I can find out what is going on :)

Multiple edges connecting to a single vertex shouldn't be a real problem in most cases, it's more about the way things are triangulated.
But looking at your image here and the model on Tim's website, ...something is telling me that UE4 doesn't read the normal map the proper way :thinking:
The issue appears on more areas and also it has that very glossy effect which can be a result of the normal map being read incorrectly (experienced this in Marmoset as well).

You could check if the normalmap is actually imported as a normalmap texture, or perhaps flip the green channel.
Here's something I found on the internet: https://forums.unrealengine.com/communi ... ormal-maps

I don't dare to say that this is the actual cause as I'm not the most experienced UE4 user, but...it's worth checking :)
Let us know if this worked or not. :thumbsup_dude:
jakelear

Thu May 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Hey Laggtastic,
I really appreciate you trying to help me out! I originally suspected the normal map as well, but the first screenshot is actually the mesh without any normal map applied. I think I may have a problem with my normal map as well (as you noted, the glossiness is kinda weird) but I think those particular pinching issues are something with the FBX.
jakelear

Fri May 04, 2018 3:11 am

I was able to get this sorted out, thank you Laggtastic! I used these import settings and it looks good: Image