Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Time Management

Whatever doesn't fit in the above categories. Extra points for keeping it SFW and politics free.
Basajaun

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi guys,

I've been wanting to start this thread for a while as I think it could be a topic of interest for many people here. I know it is for me.

The thing is I recently moved to a new city, quite far from where I previously lived, and since I didn't know anyone here it has taken me a while to get fully settled down. Next week, my desk, chair and a few other items will arrive and I will finally be able to have my home studio up and running. Since I once again have a full-time job, I'm starting to think on how I'll manage my time so I can keep working on my personal projects, play some videogames, etc. Unfortunatelly, I'm not very good at time management and some days I feel like I haven't done as many things as I could have on my free time.

I'm curious to know if anyone else feels the same way and if you guys have any tips on how to more efficiently manage your free time. What do you do when you arrive home from work (or from college if you are students)? do you make time for physical activity, like going to the gym? Is there any routine that you follow? Do you plan your week in advance or do you make (and stick to) some kind of schedule?
Sendoa Bergasa - 3D Artist
Artstation | Facebook | LinkedIn
Tim
Site Admin

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:50 am

Great topic Basajun and congrats on your move!

Me and my wife started a month and half ago to hit the gym 4 days a week. Since indeed time is always critical we get up at 6am and then are at the gym usually a 7.. then I am back home at 8 and start working (I am working from home). I feel that the gym thing helps me be more disciplined with both what I eat, how I feel and look and my plan is to keep that up.

As far as other activities go well, I try to make as much use of the weekends as possible, drive to some nice places here in Ontario. Since we live in the city its always good to get out of it every once in a while and hike around or some new place... Of course I play video games too but whenever I am working on a tutorial there is barely time for it. So in the evenings during the week for me it's either.. TV show watching, video games or working on tutorials. I guess it's all not very spectacular but what is the most important trade for me is discipline. When I start something then I know I will finish it or else I feel like I betrayed myself. I feel either I do something right or I don't do it at all so I choose my battles carefully (especially when it comes to starting a new tutorial for example)
Right now I am on a mission to become really good with ZBrush and I won't stop until I get there. I don't necessarily need to plan that all perfectly out in the calendar as long as I know that this needs to happen :thumbsup_dude:

I think its always important to have these goals that you want to achieve and make sure you get there. I could never be happy to just slack off entirely after actual work hours.. I have ambitions and I feel that learning new stuff as tough as it might be is a very satisfying and important thing to do (as it just happens for me with ZBrush) Same goes for vacationing .. I want to see more of the world and get to know as many different interesting places as possible. Well you get the idea. That is my take on Time Management :icon_popcorn:
RedlChris-_-
Site Admin

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 am

Tim wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:50 am
Great topic Basajun and congrats on your move!

Me and my wife started a month and half ago to hit the gym 4 days a week. Since indeed time is always critical we get up at 6am and then are at the gym usually a 7.. then I am back home at 8 and start working (I am working from home). I feel that the gym thing helps me be more disciplined with both what I eat, how I feel and look and my plan is to keep that up.

As far as other activities go well, I try to make as much use of the weekends as possible, drive to some nice places here in Ontario. Since we live in the city its always good to get out of it every once in a while and hike around or some new place... Of course I play video games too but whenever I am working on a tutorial there is barely time for it. So in the evenings during the week for me it's either.. TV show watching, video games or working on tutorials. I guess it's all not very spectacular but what is the most important trade for me is discipline. When I start something then I know I will finish it or else I feel like I betrayed myself. I feel either I do something right or I don't do it at all so I choose my battles carefully (especially when it comes to starting a new tutorial for example)
Right now I am on a mission to become really good with ZBrush and I won't stop until I get there. I don't necessarily need to plan that all perfectly out in the calendar as long as I know that this needs to happen :thumbsup_dude:

I think its always important to have these goals that you want to achieve and make sure you get there. I could never be happy to just slack off entirely after actual work hours.. I have ambitions and I feel that learning new stuff as tough as it might be is a very satisfying and important thing to do (as it just happens for me with ZBrush) Same goes for vacationing .. I want to see more of the world and get to know as many different interesting places as possible. Well you get the idea. That is my take on Time Management :icon_popcorn:
Tim, is it often the case, that 3D Artists can work from home? Do you go to your company every week?
Get better everyday. Love the GRIND, the EARLY MORNINGS and LATE NIGHTS.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/christophredl
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChristophRedl94
Basajaun

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:37 pm

The "working from home" part sounds great in principle but it's not for everyone, I've done it in the past and it didn't work for me. Having to go to the office every day makes it easy to separate work from your personal free time, otherwise you have to be extra disciplined as Tim said.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my previous post: I know a lot of people who just 5-6 hours of sleep per day. I envy those people inmensely because I personally can't really function if I sleep less than 8 hours, sometimes I can get away with 7, but anything less than that makes me look like a zombie. I feel like that gets in the way of maing the most out of the day. I wish I were not such a sleepyhead :(

As soon as I have my home studio set-up my priority will be resuming all the projects that I have currently on hold and I'll see what else I can squeeze in my schedule. Looking forward to hearing from others and what's their take on this topic.
Sendoa Bergasa - 3D Artist
Artstation | Facebook | LinkedIn
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 am

Well..I know a bit about the situation you are in, you're not the only one^^
Also I am that type of guy which actually needs to sleep at least like...7-8 hours, in order to function at maximum level during daytime.
But of course, I don't allways manage to sleep that many hours, resulting in being tired after work.

Once I get home, I personally don't really have a routine. I had this in the past, but it felt like I was fighting against my own will, resulting in less production.
Back in the past it was related to making homework, my routine back then was to do homework directly after coming home, but...didn't feel right.
I solved the issue by playing a game / creating art for like 1,5 hours, and getting back to homework after that. That way I was more productive.

Same workflow going on these days: Once I get home after work, I usually play a game for max. 1-1,5 hour, after that I can go on like the whole evening-night making stuff in 3D...or doing more work :)
Some day I hope to do some physical activity to stay fit, but right now I rather focus on working on my skills^^
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Sleep 10-12 hours, awake for 16-20 hours. Rinse and repeat.

I have terrible sleeping issues so my days are far longer than 24 hours, what I do is the best way of minimising time trying to fall asleep (which can be as bad as laying in bed for 3 or 4 hours if I'm not tired enough) and minimising tiredness by extending both wake and sleep.

During my waking hours I just do whatever falls into place. Mostly it's "work", often the majority of my waking hours. Not making any form of progress feels bad, not even working at all and wasting time playing games or watching stuff makes me feel even worse. That doesn't mean I don't play a good amount of games, I often have periods of time every 3 or 4 weeks where I feel really unmotivated to do anything and super distracted. I think this is more to do with the lack of caffeine for a small period, or exhausting myself from the same project/having to do something I really don't like, like searching for reference on really obscure parts of an object. Working on something else can get rid of the lack of motivation most of the time. Playing a game I like and seeing lots of awesome assets makes me want to create my own.

I stopped any form of exercise 10 months ago now, having to manage what I eat, when I eat, having to get ready and change clothes, set up all my equipment, do the exercise, rest, shower takes up a good portion of a single day. I felt I'm not in a position where I can give away close to two hours every single day for that, and that health and fitness would become a priority only when I have an income and I'm not worried about getting a job or improving my 3D skills so much. Though sometimes I can't help myself and lift some weights when I'm not in the mood to work.

I'd want to work away from home, currently I don't have that option but not having even the ability to do something else during 'working time' would probably allow me to minimise time wasted even more.
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks