Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :icon_partyparrot_top:

Animating Tim's Weapon !

Whatever doesn't fit in the above categories. Extra points for keeping it SFW and politics free.
Maxime Dupart

Thu May 18, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm probably one of the few people here that don't want to learn 3D Modeling / hard surface modeling :D but is only here for his passion for 3D in general.

Time flew like nothing, i feel like i bought Tim's weapons yesterday and yet it was back in January.
After working on so many other aspects of my game project, and spending so much time solving issues i had no idea i would encounter, only now can i dive into adding Tims weapons to my game! ^^.
I'll make a first pass in coming days and will post a couple videos in this newly created thread!

I can't wait to see those awesome weapons coming to life ! I've spent way too much time with cheap placeholders, it really starts to hurt my pride lol.

No surprises... I started integrating the MP5 first :3Dlove:

Tim
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2017 2:35 am

Hey Max! Haha yeah time flies always doesn't it? Well great to hear it, please keep us posted here on the progress. Gonna be very interesting to see them come to life through the animations ! :monkeydance:

Maxime Dupart

Mon May 22, 2017 3:26 pm

I've just realized that Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is using the same shooter foundation than my game, they built on top of a Unreal engine marketplace shooter in C++ (not the one from Epic Game but another one you got to buy).

But while they went for a mix of 3rd person/First person, i'm going fully first person. My locomotion system is also wayyyyyyyy better :icon_partyparrot_e: .

Tim
Site Admin

Mon May 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Maxime Dupart wrote:
I've just realized that Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is using the same shooter foundation than my game, they built on top of a Unreal engine marketplace shooter in C++ (not the one from Epic Game but another one you got to buy).

But while they went for a mix of 3rd person/First person, i'm going fully first person. My locomotion system is also wayyyyyyyy better :icon_partyparrot_e: .
\\

Nice ! :D

Battlegrounds also happens to use some of my stuff. The Acog and the UMP to be precise :icon_partyparrot_top:

Maxime Dupart

Mon May 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Tim wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 6:37 pm
Maxime Dupart wrote:

\\

Nice ! :D

Battlegrounds also happens to use some of my stuff. The Acog and the UMP to be precise :icon_partyparrot_top:

It's awesome! I'm quite surprised they didn't use more of your weapons really. Most of their weapons aren't at the same level of quality obviously.
I'm gonna use most of your weapons, as long as it makes sense ^^.

There's a couple challenges i'm working on right now, mostly trying to optimize the animation organization for reload/draw/... to limit the animation work as much as possible using IK.
I have a couple characters that use jetpack but don't believe i'll allow characters to jump like in the video below (i had never tried the jump in the first part btw :3).

The video below feature a bit of a custom locomotion system on top of a Marketplace shooter asset's map that i believe Player Unknown's Battlegrounds used as starting point.
It's quite obvious once you played around with this asset and seen the overall locomotion of 'Battlegrounds'

*edited*

It's in true first person, Arma style, i had a lot of stuff to figure out to get this smooth old school arms-only fps feeling :p, and i also need to put back some nice secondary motions (arm lags, additive idle, etc...), add the stopping animation for sprint (there's only stop animation for walking right now but the logic is there already).
Andddd the 'gun lifting' animation when you're close to walls, like in Far Cry. A lot of work, all over the place, as always, but getting there lol.

So far i've only added your MP5 and rigged most your handguns.
Last edited by Maxime Dupart on Fri May 26, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim
Site Admin

Wed May 24, 2017 2:01 am

Very impressive Maxime and great seeing it in action! Also good to know that this is the basis that Battlegrounds picked from.
I haven't read up on the exact history of it but I believe.. Battlegrounds started out as some sort of a mod by a guy called Playerunknown and then Bluehole saw the potential and build on top of what he had? :thinking:

Interesting either way and yes I also wish they would use more of my weapons :D but even having these two in there feels quite special. I emailed the art director from Bluehole and he seems like a very nice guy.
Seems like a good company, they were actually the very first that bought my weapons pack a while ago :)

Keep going, looks great already ! Just one thing.. the MP5 looks very glossy. Did you buy it from the unreal marketplace or from my website? I wonder if maybe you got something wrong in the material setup?

Maxime Dupart

Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 am

Tim wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 2:01 am
Very impressive Maxime and great seeing it in action! Also good to know that this is the basis that Battlegrounds picked from.
I haven't read up on the exact history of it but I believe.. Battlegrounds started out as some sort of a mod by a guy called Playerunknown and then Bluehole saw the potential and build on top of what he had? :thinking:

Interesting either way and yes I also wish they would use more of my weapons :D but even having these two in there feels quite special. I emailed the art director from Bluehole and he seems like a very nice guy.
Seems like a good company, they were actually the very first that bought my weapons pack a while ago :)

Keep going, looks great already ! Just one thing.. the MP5 looks very glossy. Did you buy it from the unreal marketplace or from my website? I wonder if maybe you got something wrong in the material setup?
I believe it started as an Arma mod?
Bought from the website. Here is the material setup in Unreal (UE 4.16):

Tim
Site Admin

Thu May 25, 2017 4:45 am

Hi Max ! Ah okay, I was just asking because the pack on unreal marketplace has the materials already setup for it. ( I released that half a year after the gumroad release).
So that is why it could have been that you didn't set up a material properly and it does indeed look that way :)

Make sure to take a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&p=3453#p3453

Compression settings for the Metal/Roughness map need to be set to masks ! :ok:

I can also unlock you to my google drive where I have the exact same pack as it was uploaded to unreal marketplace.

Maxime Dupart

Fri May 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Changed to mask and it's night and day, it's looks incredibly better ^^...
Made me realize that i don't have the AO map on my current version, not 100% sure of the real impact it could have tho.

Here are a couple shots of what it looks like now:

Tim
Site Admin

Sat May 27, 2017 8:58 pm

That is looking much much better :) :victory: Not sure what's going on at the magazine of the MP5, something I don't have showing like that on my end (that zig zag shadow). Might just be the way you rotated it though and the way the light hits it. Not a big deal and looks like you set it up correctly now. :icon_bow: :ok:

• Information