Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Choosing career and specialization.

For when we not model and texture. Anything related to gaming and the games industry.
Netraraj

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi everyone. First of all I would like to thank all of you for being so responsive to the queries and special thank to sir Tim for taking out time for us.

Today I had a seminar in my Institute and it was about Maya Modelling and texturing. The way the instructor was talking it seems like if I want to be modelling artist then I have to know Organic and Inorganic both at the same time. But right now I have completely put my concentration towards Hard Surface modelling and texturing(Baking included). So, I want to know from all of you that being a beginner is it wrong for me to think that I want start with hard surface modelling..? I do like organic modelling but first I want be make myself expertise in hard surface modelling and then slowly move towards organic. Having both inorganic and organic at the same time would be difficult for me because I guess both are of complete different style..

So, today`s seminar was more like a confusion for me rather than more of a learning curve. Would be great if you people express what you have on your side.. :thinking:

Thank You,
Netraraj Pun
Thank You,
Netraraj Pun

Artstation: www.artstation.com/artist/netrarajpun
Hurock

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:46 pm

I'd say it's best to at least understand both :) even if you have a special affinity towards one.
Worst case scenario it's still an addition to your skillset, and not a small one!

I love hard surface waaaay more than organic (and I'm lucky that's what I get to do most) but from times to times I may need to make something organic.
It's hard learning both things at the same time, so try to find something you like, a sci fi environment with some plants, landscape, and such, so you can go back and forth between both styles.
(I recently made a scene to learn Zbrush and force myself to do something else than hard surface, and that helped me get a job, because it showed that I was able to do both :) )

Just do stuff you love, and try to learn a lot in as many fields as possible (even if hard surface is your one true love <3) there's no "wrong way" just keep working doing new projects, and try doing projects with stuff you don't know how to do yet :) that will challenge you and make you learn new stuff!
(and finish them ^^ an average finished project is worth more than an awesome unfinished one :) )
Netraraj

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:25 pm

Thank You sir, I do agree with all of your points. Today`s instructor actually meant human as an organic model that`s where my problem start from. I have recently started making rocks and wood carving in zbrush and I like those.. Its just my issue is with human models as I have almost zero idea about anatomy :icon_lol: which itself is gigantic subject I guess.
Thank You,
Netraraj Pun

Netraraj

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:32 pm

BTW I really like the environment scene that you have made sir. I do like those work very much and do want to make those kind of work in future. :thumbsup_dude: :ok:
Thank You,
Netraraj Pun

Hurock

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks mate^^

Ouch, yeah character is a whole other deal ^^
I guess you could go for environment artist (which is the easiest way to get in as an artist ^^ or most common)
If you're going into characters you'll have to learn anatomy and such you're right, and it's a ton of work.
I won't lie, I'm absolutely unable to make a decent looking character (well, maybe a robot ^^ never tried that) I don't know how it works in every studio ofc, but all the character artists I worked with were only making characters, and the other way around, but that doesn't make it a golden rule.
Learning anatomy would be a great asset, and being able to do both would make you an amazing artist, but it's also a tremendous amount of work (but I'm pretty sure that it would pay off :) )
Netraraj

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:56 am

I do have plans for anatomy but not now.. once i do well in hard-surface modelling then would proceed to that. And yeah sir seems like m liking environment work so may be I should go for that once I clear my first stage.. :icon_lol: BTW sir did you use any game engine to that winter environment or the normal render engines.

And yeah thank you sir for clearing my problems, it was really a mess yesterday after the seminar but now I think I should move to my original track and with time use a different track as well. :thumbsup:
Thank You,
Netraraj Pun

Hurock

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:40 am

It's running on UE4 (tons of great tutz on youtube, waiting for Tim to make one :D)
But don't take my word for everything I said :) I ain't got that much experience in the industry yet ;) wait for some answers from the big guys :D