Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

SketchFab Bart

For when we not model and texture. Anything related to gaming and the games industry.
Chuck Wilson

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 pm

So over at Sketchfab I get a comment from Bart stating he thinks I need to tell everyone in the description that the model was done by using Tims video. Im talking about the AKM tutorial. Which Tim knows I have posted on many different forums bragging him up and giving him excellent feed back that he deserves.

I bought Tims videos to add and improve my portfolio. Im thinking it wouldn't look so good if it said in the description that this was done by following a tutorial etc. Its not that I dont want to give Tim credit I just didnt think it would be good for the portfolio . Also it wasnt like I was telling people I did this on my own or anything I just left the description blank.

My Sketchfab had Tims Grenade, the Kukri Knife, and the AKM, about 8 different Sketchfab viewers. So was I supposed to go to each model and say this was done by following Tim's videos? :icon_think:

I just ended up deleting them, but for future tutorials of Tims Im just wondering how this should be handled?

I had this happen over at Art Station to,, it wasnt a day later and someone posted a comment saying didnt you copy this from Tim etc..

Definitely dont want to come off as a copy cat, definitely dont want to steal Tims thunder. I didnt think nothing of it when I posted the stuff on Sketchfab and ArtStation, but I guess there is more to it than just that.

I wasnt going to post this ,, I was just going to blow it off but then I thought it might be best to clear this up early on rather than later.
My SketchFab
My YouTube Channel
:icon_onfire:
Xeon 12 core W3680 @ 4Ghz Hybrid Watercooled
EVGA 1070 8GB Hybrid Watercooled
Raid 0 840 Pro's
G.SKILL Ripjaws 24GB Memory
The_Time_Burner

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:23 am

Wasnt the tutorials made,so that people can use them for their portfolio? Also,isnt 3d modelling about the final result. No matter what method you used to achieve it? The job is all about copying real world objects/.
Tim
Site Admin

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:57 am

Hey Chuck, oh that's interesting. I know Bart but I didn't know he encourages people to add my name to tutorial created content. :D

Personally I never expect someone to add it to the description or think negatively about it if they prefer to not mention the tutorial. However it's always nice when I see it in the description as a small note.
Every once in a while I check through artstation to see if I can upload stuff to the user art gallery on my website (and facebook). Often times then I find stuff that's clearly coming from my tutorial but not mentioning it or even having some text that makes it more sound like they came up with it themselves. In these cases I find it a bit.. mehh.. and of course I also don't put them up on my gallery then. Once I see it mentioned I see it as a "permission" for me to put it up on the gallery which I think is the best proof to show other people that my tutorials work and deliver results.

You were the first to ever complete the AK tutorial :icon_bow: and like you were saying you made no secret out of it so I really don't see a problem here at all.

I've also seen that kneejerk reaction of people commenting in a rude way ... "That's from Tim's tutorial! Nice copying."
I find comments like that unnecessary because clearly people put a lot of work in it creating that AKM, whether they mention the tut or not.
Chuck Wilson

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:45 am

Sweet and that is what I was thinking. I am glad to know I wasnt do anything wrong. Thanks guys.
My SketchFab
My YouTube Channel
:icon_onfire:
Xeon 12 core W3680 @ 4Ghz Hybrid Watercooled
EVGA 1070 8GB Hybrid Watercooled
Raid 0 840 Pro's
G.SKILL Ripjaws 24GB Memory
Kanni
Site Admin

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:11 pm

It is kind of rude and suggestive of Bart to say that, but it is sort of an unspoken thing when sharing your art, always credit where it is due. Tim's tutorials are definitely getting saturated with newer artists, so it's quite easy to pick up on the fact that it's Tim's tutorial work... :P For example though, some people model based on a cool gun reference that an illustrator concepted years ago. So they model it and mention "credit to __________ for concepting this cool design.'

I feel in the 3d community, that when you don't credit, Tim in this instance, then people inadvertently feel you are implying that you made the AK yourself and passing it off as fully your own process.
The_Time_Burner wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:23 am
Wasnt the tutorials made,so that people can use them for their portfolio? Also,isnt 3d modelling about the final result. No matter what method you used to achieve it? The job is all about copying real world objects/.
You COULD use them for your portfolio, and 3d is about the final result no matter what the process is - but you have to understand there's quite a difference between gathering reference, troubleshooting, the whole mile of modeling, unwrapping, baking, texturing, and rendering an asset all on your own, rather than following a tutorial to a tee, then posting it on your portfolio. Doing this, is where people expect you to credit the tutorial out of respect.
ImageImageImage
The_Time_Burner

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:16 am

Ah,I see. Thanks for clarifying that.