Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

CV/Resume preparation advice and feedback

For when we not model and texture. Anything related to gaming and the games industry.
CharlieOsa

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 am

Hello everybody, first of all I wanna apologise for not being active on the forum, having super busy period of my life atm. I promise I will contribute more to this forum once I make time guys.
I am going to graduate in april/may so I gotta finally finish up my CV/Portfolio.
Here is what I have atm, in fairness making it was one of my assignment in 3rd year. I would be glad if you take a minute a look at it from "potential employer" perspective and share your thoughts. :victory:
My main concerns are:
- lack of professional look, in other words, one might consider it too cartoonish/childhlish
- I am not sure about the mountain graphic, this space could be use for some relevant text about my skills / goals / current projects
- unnecessary information about my employment history i.e 3 years on a car wash (one might say : srsly bro, who cares?! :icon_partyparrot_d: )
- "About me" section - too casual / personal? I am trying to avoid very generic feel of it

*I know there is padding / formatting to be fixed*

p.s I hope you all doing well guys :thumbsup_dude:

Here is the link to PDF
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6f1fxkjmkj9zu ... a.pdf?dl=0

And as always, thanks in advance !
My Artstation

"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories" - Sun Tzu
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:04 am

Hey! That's a super cool and fairly unique resume in my opinion, but I see the points you bring up. It does have a kind of educational slideshow feel to it with the stylised aesthetic.
I think the mountain graphic is a good touch, but could be a better representation of your 3D career, rather than all your jobs like the car wash you mention.

I also think the second page looks a little clustered, I like the representation of your skills in each program/language/coding lanugage but it took a little while to find where everything is on the page, and my eyes don't really know where to start when I get to that page. I think maybe you could separate graphical stuff/skills/the mountain from the contact info/references/about me text. The scattered software icons also make it look a little messy.

One more thing that came to mind regarding skills/expertise in an area (I'm not sure if the software icon sizes represent how good you are with using them, but I assumed they do since you've done that for the programming languages/language), if someone would be looking at your resume for a position with software or a programming language that you've put as one of the lower skilled ones, it might be a little discouraging.

I'm in no way a professional with this so take everything I've said as just opinion/my thoughts. I remember artstation did a newsletter about someone responsible for hiring and observing portfolios. It doesn't really cover resumes, but mainly portfolios. It does mention resumes as being far less important than your actual work/artwork. Here's the link if you're interested in reading:
https://magazine.artstation.com/2017/07 ... plication/
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
JEmerson

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:29 pm

So I am by no means a professional recruiter - but I have hired people and I have reviewed resumes/cv's in that process as well as in an effort to create my own. Here's what I think, and please take this as constructive criticism. I am sticking only with your resume as presented here. First and foremost though, recruiters will care far more about the art than the resume. But the resume needs professionalism too.

TLDR: I think you need to go to a more typical style of resume. The purpose of the resume is purely to organize pre-existing relevant work history and information to present to a recruiter who has, tops, 30 seconds to review it on a first pass. Also, make sure you type everything out. If I run your resume/cv through an applicant tracking system, I guarantee in the current state it is in that it will be thrown out. The things I go through below are applicable to a web-based resume/cv as well as a printed one. I don't want to work as a recruiter while reviewing your resume. If I have to work hard, because my time is limited and I have 200 other applicants to cover today, then this one is getting thrown out. Finally, do a spellcheck pass. Read it all backwards.

1. Name takes up a lot of space; bolding and having it be a larger font is fine. But it takes up two lines for a short name and alignment is not correct. If I am hiring you for a design position, I am already questioning your design sense because you didn't unify the white space and alignment).

2. I do not mind the use of the icons in conjunction with the information, but they take up a lot of space and can be decreased in size and focused more (e.g., the artstation logo should be the logo without the byline; the email symbol can just be an envelope, also it is pretty self-evident by the type of info).

3. Where is your tagline? What are you? I don't want to read the "About Me" section just to get that.

4. This needs serious refinement. Loving to interact with people (collaborate) is a good thing and so is teamwork. Keep this but rephrase it. Striving to improve yourself is a good thing, but that doesn't actually tell me anything other than you are dedicated.

If I'm rewriting this section, I am writing it as follows, because it says the same thing with less words.

"Graduating Multimedia Programming & Design student specializing in 3D computer graphics with 2 years experience in graphic design and computer graphics. Seeking to utilize previous experience and training in a 3D modeler and animator role (pick which role you want) to collaborate on high quality and fast paced projects."

5. Lose the mountains. It is a waste of space. It may look nice, but it is a waste of space none the less. If I am printing out resumes/CV's to review, I'm going to be pissed when I have to change the ink cartridge because yours used up all my ink. Also, most places will print in black/white or grey only, so readability is an issue.

6. Job titles and descriptions: Why are these not bolded? Why do I have to work to find the 2 relevant positions you have held that pertain to the industry you're trying to join? Also, what did you do while in those positions? What were your responsibilities, what achievements did you have, what programs did you use, what work did you produce?

7. As you're still in school, I expect this to be highlighted directly underneath professional experience.

8. Programming, Spoken Languages: Lose the "expertise" level icons. They don't tell a recruiter anything because there is no scale of comparison or reference point. 3/8. What does that mean? Either you're a beginner, proficient, or an expert. Spoken Languages, either you're business proficient, or fluent, if neither, lose it.

9.. Software Skills: Same issue. What does the different scaling tell me? Why are the icons (what if I didn't know the icon for Substance Painter) a jumbled mess that my eye has to track around to even figure out. A list is better. Do not assume the recruiter has an art background. Do not assume the recruiter knows the programs you use. Do not assume.

10. References:
Mary Lyons: What is her position at the coffee house? Owner, Manager, Server (who you use as a reference will tell me a lot). Is this a personal or business reference? Why is this reference not someone from your internship?
Denise McEvoy: Where does Denise work? Is this a personal or business reference? Most importantly, why is there (again) no reference from someone at your place of internship? That's relevant experience, it's recent experience, I want to hear that.

11. Hobbies: I don't really care. Some people have them, some don't. The general rule of thumb is to leave them off as hobbies can create a bias against you (let's assume I don't like physics, at all; subconsciously I may be biased against you as a recruiter and that could seep into my decision making).

I am by no means advocating that my resume is perfect, as there are points I can see and need to take the time to review. But you can see the general application of the concepts on it.
CharlieOsa

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks so much for your feedback guys! ;)
Especially @JEmerson for such a comprehensive and objective opinion! It is super helpful. Many things that you pointed overlaps with what career adviser in my college have said about my CV :thumbsup:

Before I read your post I already decided to get rid of mountains graphic and hobbies. The only thing I could say to defend my choice of Resume style. I think in this particular industry showing your creativity and uniqueness of your style is quite important, that is why I wanted to make it stand out among other Resumes I've seen online so recruiter will remember it. Anyway, I will try to apply all your advice to it now and thanks again for your time :thumbsup:
My Artstation

"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories" - Sun Tzu
CharlieOsa

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Here is my CV.ver2
Content:
- modified About Me section so it is much more specific/less generic
- as 2008 - 2012 was pretty much an empty space I just cut the timeline to 2012
- highlighted and described relevant job experience
- taking your Resume as example @JEmerson, I have added Courses section
Design:
- dimmed down background from 100% to 70% transparency
- less colors

When I look at both of them now I think ver2 is much improved. Of course any critique / advice is highly appreciated. I hope this post can be a good guide for others newbies like me. :enlightened:
Thanks again !
My Artstation

Cockburn

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:39 am

Chambers have been constituted for the success and triumph of the people. An approval of the chamber and visits of http://resume-writing-services.reviews/ have been based for the utilization of the goals for the humans. The system is entailed for the flow of the quite good items for the people.