Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

The Sims 4 too cartooney

For when we not model and texture. Anything related to gaming and the games industry.
zaparine

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Many people may love the new vibrant cartooney artstyle of The Sims 4 but IMO The Sims 4 graphics are worse than The Sims 3 when it comes to lights and shadows. The developer got rid of all the shadows projecting onto characters making them look flat.
I love realism and wanna see what would it be if The Sims 4 has better lighting.
So I just extracted the character from the game and imported it into 3ds max and start rendering.
Here's the result. What do you guys think?

Last edited by zaparine on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
Tim
Site Admin

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Hmm as mentioned in another thread ALL your images don't seem to show here on the forum. Like your cool light saber is also gone :icon_confused:

If you would use imgur.com that would not happen. You can also use the free tool SHAREX to instantly upload and screengrab anything. Very good tool that I would recommend you to install :)
(or you can upload to the forum)
zaparine

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:12 am

So... the website I used to store my photos must changed its privacy not to allow other countries to view it.
Last edited by zaparine on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Site Admin

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Ah now it works! :icon_clap:

So about your sim 4 question, I never played the Sims personally but I see what you mean.
Your alteration.. hmm I am not sure mate. I think the original model and texture is already made in a way where its supposed to be very stylized.
Your version makes it appear a little bit like a ghost. She looks more pale and overall brighter. I mean not sure what you are trying to do but if you are after more realistic look then I think you have to start by actually creating another texture that has for example finer hairlines and all that :)
zaparine

Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:36 am

Thanks for your advice Tim!
About the ghost look, I may have to calibrate my mornitor again. :D
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:46 pm

I agree with Tim about the ghost look, but I definitely think a combo of stylised + realism (lighting and such) is a great combo. Not a huge fan of stylised games at all, I like grim, dark and realistic but when both are mixed I like it.
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
zaparine

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:28 am

Maybe the difference in lighting and texturing between the game and 3ds max creates this ghost look. This time, I've edited it with an extremely vibrant sim. :D
KeithHul

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:38 pm

I gotta be honest, I'm digging the cartoony look sometimes and The Sims games are definitely one of those times. Do you think they'll go even further towards the cartoony look in the next installment or "reign things in" so to speak and go for the more realistic look?