Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

High-quality renders with an animated camera?

Anything cool you want to share that may otherwise be hard to categorize.
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Hey everyone! :victory:

Just as a disclaimer, I don't have Marmoset and have no experience with it. As I saw it costs over $180 which is more than substance painter and I'm not a person who has that money.

Basically I'm wondering how I could get high quality renders such as in substance painter, but with an animated camera say I wanted to achieve something like this: Image
This animation I made in 3ds max a while ago since it has good animation capabilities. I've wanted to achieve something like this recently but I obviously want the mesh to have all the PBR textures that I make in substance painter. I took another look at 3DS' default shader and it doesn't have a plug-in for a metallic or roughness maps, though for roughness there's the 'glossiness' map which I'm not sure if it functions exactly as it should. I also took a look at Arch & Design shader and it doesn't look like it has those functions either.

In short, am I mistaken that Marmoset is a tonne of money/not free?
Does Marmoset have camera animation capabilities?
Can 3Ds Max be set up to render PBR materials somewhat close to Substance Painter, maybe using the complex material editor (specifically use roughness, normal, albedo & metallic maps)?
If none of the above, is there any way I could set up an animated camera in any other free/relatively low price software or SP2?

Thanks you wonderful lot! :thumbsup:
:icon_partyparrot_e:
:icon_partyparrot_top:
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
Tim
Site Admin

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:30 am

Honestly, Marmoset Toolbag 3 is the best software out there for the kind of renders you have in mind and about everything else too that is PBR related.
Iray in Painter is really more a handy little feature they added, nothing that gives you a whole lot of control so all its good for is rendering the actual scene content of what you are currently texturing.

That alone is very limiting, it's not a software in which you can quickly drag and drop other stuff to render. No, its coupled with the substance scene.

Marmoset is often on sale, so you might just keep an eye out for that. You can also try the 30 day trial version and convince you of it.
It's pretty amazing stuff and you will love it. (and I don't know any alternative of it sadly). I suppose you could bring it into UE4 and make beauty shots there too.
Requires some engine know how of course and not as fast as Marmoset which is made for renders and yes, the turntable and any other animations are possible within it.
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:48 am

Ah alright, thanks Tim.
I still won't be cashing out on Marmoset any time soon as I literally don't have the money and if I did I'd probably need to spend it on something else in my situation (more ram, software for making actual content and so on). Either way I don't doubt Marmoset will be a handy bit of software, though I did manage to find there's a 'Stingray' shader hidden away in 3ds Max that has PBR texture plug-ins, so I'll test this out later. :ok:
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
fk6284755

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:53 am

I dont think there is a fixed render setting for scene, bcoz render setting depends upon the complexity of scene, what quality you want to render. I generally give a very low threshold value low with a multiplicated value for adaptive samplings and it gives me a very good render with no noise. NOW THE MAIN PART WHICH I HAVE FACED AVOIDING FLICKER. The best way i cracked for it is by saving the light cache file (Baking). when i started using this technique, i m not getting any flicker in camer animation or object animation too. You can also try saving Light cache file to render flicker less

Become Wealthy with the help of Wealth Affirmations mp3 .....