Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

3ds Max 2018

Anything cool you want to share that may otherwise be hard to categorize.
Tim
Site Admin

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:39 am

It's this time of the year again. 3ds Max 2018 is out!

I found the change notes over here:

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/the-3ds- ... 3dsmax2018
Autodesk wrote:
- Smart Asset Packaging allows users to create, share, and update portable assets that are flexible, connected, and react to changes in design data.

- Customizable Workspaces offer a more responsive, modern, and personalized user experience.

- From 3ds Max 2017.1: Blended Box Map gives users the ability to morph visible seams by blending as many as six materials applied to an object. More on this here: http://autode.sk/2owoCo8

- MAXtoA 1.0 plug-in is integrated into 3ds Max 2018, giving artists access to Arnold's latest features.

- From 3ds Max 2017.1: The Data Channel Modifier allows users to derive information directly from their model and then use it to drive other types of modifications. This simplifies tasks such as smoothing objects based on curvature and making a vertex color mask based on an angle, as examples. More on this here: http://autode.sk/2nBN0p4

- Motion Paths allows you to visualize your animation as a bezier trajectory, giving you a new way to modify your animation.

- Max to LMV translation cloud service gives uses the ability to view their Max files with Forge Viewer in a web browser, making it easier to review and share assets.
Tim
Site Admin

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:45 am

First impression.. nothing too ground breaking new that would stand out for a Video game related 3D modeling work flow.

1. One thing they introduced with the UV Editor overhaul in Max 2017 was a bug that broke the "offset UV's".
It's necessary to push out a cluster of UV Islands that share the same space on the texture.

...and to my surprise this is still broken :icon_frown:

The only third party plugin I know of that does the job is polytools3d polyunwrapper which I currently use for this task and from the looks of it.. will continue using http://www.polytools3d.com/polyunwrapper/

Update: my bad.. it works. Thanks Swordslayer

2. On a positive note, they added a quadify feature to the chamfer modifier which now gives it the same ability as the "quad chamfer" modifier from Marius Silaghi. Meaning that it fixes pinches automatically.. however that quadify feature only works if you use more then one iteration. For the standard chamfer they forgot to add it :icon_eyeroll:

Same settings with Quad Chamfer from Marius which lets us do the Quad Intersection.

And.. another strange find:
Swordslayer

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Tim wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:45 am
1. One thing they introduced with the UV Editor overhaul in Max 2017 was a bug that broke the "offset UV's".
It's necessary to push out a cluster of UV Islands that share the same space on the texture.

...and to my surprise this is still broken :icon_frown:
Did you try switching to move mode?
Incoming Signature in 3..2..1..
My Scripts :: MAXScript One-liners for Artists
Swordslayer

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Hmm, weird, it's working for me, unless you mean something else. Granted, I still use the latest beta (week before the release one) but I certainly cannot reproduce the issue:

Tim
Site Admin

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks for showing this Swordslayer, I stand corrected. It does work for me too now!

I think what happened was that I had 2017 and 2018 opened to compare things and I must have accidentally thought I was in 2018 when in reality I tested this in 2017. :icon_redface:
Case closed! Glad that is back to working. Thanks!

By the way, glad to have you on the forum. Your scripts are awesome, I gotta give the Inset Chamfer another good look!
LauriTolppa

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:20 pm

So in conclusion no reason to switch to this? Although there might be less bugs.
Swordslayer

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Depends, I'd say install a trial and see if the new stuff works for you or not. The UI is more flexible now, some people were especially happy that you can now dock for example Scene/Layer Explorer over the Command Panel and switch between the two, workspaces are reworked and enhanced menus are there by default now and actually work so that's another thing that you can tear off. Oh, and the big jewell menu is gone :D All in all, the main focus was migration from the historic paramblock1 to paramblock2 (hence also the binary incompatibility with previous versions) which was long overdue and without which it's impossible to for example build dynamic interface for primitives and modifiers, so I'd treat this version more as a groundwork one. But yeah, it also fixes quite a few 2017 bugs so if you skipped that version, try this one. Alternatively, wait for what Project Update(s) bring(s) to the table.

@Tim: My pleasure :) As for the inset chamfer / inset fix script, they have their own set of issues, both are compromises between performance and expected behaviour (scripted solutions always take a big hit with each new case to test). Good for simple solids, not so much for anything else. But seeing that some work is being done at the native chamfer modifier, I'll probably just leave them as is and hope for the best :)
Tim
Site Admin

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Great having you sum that up with your technical artist background :)
Agreed it's a good thing they added some changes to the chamfer modifer. I updated my first post to see why its still not perfect ..
In my opinion they should write Marius a nice Cheque and use his quad chamfer modifier.
Chuck Wilson

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:15 am

Swordslayer wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:39 pm
@Tim: My pleasure :) As for the inset chamfer / inset fix script, they have their own set of issues, both are compromises between performance and expected behaviour (scripted solutions always take a big hit with each new case to test). Good for simple solids, not so much for anything else. But seeing that some work is being done at the native chamfer modifier, I'll probably just leave them as is and hope for the best :)
Hey Swordslayer!
Glad to see you here! I too really like some of your scripts on ScriptSpot (Border Fill my favorite ) and also,,, thanks for answering countless MAX questions on the various forums out there. :icon_partyparrot_e:
My SketchFab
My YouTube Channel
:icon_onfire:
Xeon 12 core W3680 @ 4Ghz Hybrid Watercooled
EVGA 1070 8GB Hybrid Watercooled
Raid 0 840 Pro's
G.SKILL Ripjaws 24GB Memory
Chuck Wilson

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:17 am

Hey Tim
Thanks for this thread, I have been wondering what your thoughts were on 2018, I havnt got to play with it much. :icon_teach:
My SketchFab
My YouTube Channel
:icon_onfire:
Xeon 12 core W3680 @ 4Ghz Hybrid Watercooled
EVGA 1070 8GB Hybrid Watercooled
Raid 0 840 Pro's
G.SKILL Ripjaws 24GB Memory