Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Tree It

Anything cool you want to share that may otherwise be hard to categorize.
Boric123

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Hey guys,

I recently stumbled across this software that allows you to create trees, sort of similar to SpeedTree except this is completely free. I don't know if this is a well known software already and I'm just late to the party or not. Regardless, I thought I'd make a post here just incase anyone doesn't know about it. It's not quite a good as SpeedTree, but that is to be expected. It's a really easy installation process and it's a pleasure to use all round.

This video gives a very good rundown of the software's features.

Link to the download for the software: http://www.evolved-software.com/treeit/treeit

Hope this was helpful to some :icon_partyparrot_e: :icon_partyparrot_top:
Tim
Site Admin

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:02 am

I love seeing quality shares like that in the software section. Thanks Boric ! :goodpost:

(now i just need to find the time to actually work on an environment scene where trees might come in handy for)
Boric123

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks, Tim! Glad you found it useful :icon_partyparrot_e:

I look forward to maybe seeing some more environments made by you, the ones on your ArtStation look really cool :icon_thumbsfallout:
Tim
Site Admin

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks yes, it's been a while that I worked on environment scenes. The thing is I specialize very much on uniquely unwrapped and baked pieces.
Environment art is more of a joined cooperation with many other artists, sharing textures, materials, making sure it all fits and blends in nicely into the world.
There are so many steps involved that it makes it kinda hard for me to just say.. let's make another environment scene! ;)

However I certainly want to make a tutorial at some point and I'll think of something that is short and interesting enough to cover a lot of aspects in environment art creation.
Who knows maybe I can use tree it for it too. Gotta look more into it then :)
Boric123

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Yeah, environments are certainly a big undertaking! To be honest, I much prefer working on environments than anything else.I really enjoy the whole process of it, so much so that I'm strongly considering applying for a games art course in university next year. Hopefully by then my portfolio will be a lot better, I don't have any formal qualification in anything relating to 3D so my portfolio is going to have to carry me completely :icon_vince: I think the stuff I created following your tutorials will go a very long way :)