Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Regarding zbrush

Anything cool you want to share that may otherwise be hard to categorize.
golani79

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:09 am

Does anyone know when zBrush 4R8 is supposed to be released and if it will be a free update if you have R7?
Chuck Wilson

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Suppose to be a free upgrade from R7 ,, dont know when it will be released.
My SketchFab
My YouTube Channel
:icon_onfire:
Xeon 12 core W3680 @ 4Ghz Hybrid Watercooled
EVGA 1070 8GB Hybrid Watercooled
Raid 0 840 Pro's
G.SKILL Ripjaws 24GB Memory
two_larsens

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:35 am

Tim, you should have a lot of fun learning ZBrush.

A few tips I could give, in case someone in general starts out learning ZBrush, is to use a tablet - absolutely key, in my opinion, since pressure sensitivity is very important. Any tablet - like a Wacom will do. They aren't too expensive.
Another would be to use the 'right' materials when scuplting - meaning that a lot of the shaders in ZBrush can actually obscure detail, or over-enhance detail to the point where frustration can set in, fighting a fight that isn't fair.
Another thing is, in my opinion (I've used ZBrush for years and years), that the more you get into it, the less you need out of it - like brushes. I pretty much use a handful of brushes out of all the hundreds that are available, and some of them come standard, but needs tweaked quite a lot. It's a bit like a painter who use a few tubes of paint to get to the whole range.

A good tip, when sculpting, is to turn off Backface Masking. If not, then the mesh that is visible, will actually (depending on range) sculpt the underside of the mesh, which can be a mess. You'll find the option in the Brush Menu.

Personally, I think ZBrush is a great tool for 'sketching' something real quick - like with ZSpheres. If you're making trees, for instance, they're a great tool, and so is Dynamesh. The minus (in my opinion) is the terrible UI, where I think there are too many small buttons and sliding menus, and bizarre words for functions and actions, where I wish they would have tried to remain standard - as well as awkward rotate, move and scale functions.

But, anyway, if anyone is interested, I can put up some shaders and brushes that will help at any stage, using ZBrush. As said, a lot of it, is knowing what, out of a thousand options, to use.
For you, Tim, it will be a good tool when making your weapons - like the stock, to make little notches for Substance Painter to grab in the Curvature map.

Henrik

Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/artist/two_larsens
Tim
Site Admin

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:17 am

Thank you good Sir, that is certainly good advise! Yes my zbrush learning game got slowed down again a bit :icon_redface: but this time I will remain committed to it.

Already have a cool project in mind to practice some more and yeah I did watch a few tutorials already and also noticed some of the things you pointed out.
I also just have a few brushes, I would certainly be interested to see which ones you use. If you want to share them please feel free to do so.
Not sure when I get to load up zbrush again next time but soon enough I hope :)
two_larsens

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi Tim, and Chamferzone.

I would like to attach the ZB files I mentioned, but for some reason it doesn't like those kind of files. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. If nothing else, I could put up a Dropbox link, but I don't know if that's the right way either. Would anyone here know of the right way to do this? Sorry I'm a meat head.... ;)

Henrik

Tim
Site Admin

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Hey Henrik, it's not urgent for me but if you want you could just upload it to google drive :) That's usually where I drop all my files. Yes the attachments on the forum have its limits.. Thanks!
two_larsens

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:21 pm

Hey Tim and anyone else interested,

I think Google Drive is a winner.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3ZON ... XQzdTVxT1k

It probably isn't anything super special, but it made my ZBrushing life a little simpler, and as said earlier, there really isn't that many different brushes and materials that in everyday modeling life, are that useful (in my opinion).
All you do is drop the brushes into the ZStartup/Brushes folder, and restart the program. The same procedure for the material (ZStartup/Materials).
Disclaimer: I didn't make the material, so I wanted it said. It is very useful for honest visual feedback - particularly hard surfaces - like guns.
The Orbs_Crack brush, I think is better than the Damian Standard Brush (for cuts and slices). The trim brush is very useful for softening edges - like rocks. Another useful brush for rocks is the Rock_Sculpter brush. Basically the workflow would be to make a rough rock shape and plane the surfaces, letting the edges foam up a bit. It, like everything else in life, takes a bit a getting used to, but once there (preferably with a tablet), results should be good.
I hope it's useful!

Henrik

Tim
Site Admin

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 am

Amazing, thanks a ton Henrik. Very much appreciated! I will make sure to load them up next time I use zbrush :thankyoublue:
Lazy

Sun May 28, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello ZBrush fans!
This is a human body sculpture I've done recently for practice. I still need to learn managing subtools to add clothing and gear to the character. For now it's just simple muscle mass.
Attachments
Human.png
Human.png (272.35 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Tim
Site Admin

Tue May 30, 2017 1:49 am

Hey Lazy, welcome to the forum ! Nice practice and looks pretty anatomical I would say :) I also need to carry on with learning more zbrush. :icon_getmecoat: