Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :parrotsailor: All tutorials available at https://chamferzone.com/

Help me to choose a new GPU

Anything cool you want to share that may otherwise be hard to categorize.
ranula_cgartist

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:29 am

Hello ! :)

I'm in need of upgrading to a new GPU because it lags even when working with 2K in Substance Painter. I think GPU is the main reason for lagging. My current one is an AMD Radeon R9 270X.

Here are my PC specs,

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz
16GB DDR3 (Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB x 2 )
AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB

My budget is around $300 and I am looking for a used or a brandnew GPU. I don't have a big idea about GPUs. Please be kind to name some with your experience. Please help me.

Waiting for your reply,
Thanks !
Laggtastic
Site Admin

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Gonna be completely honest on this one: I have barely knowledge about the AMD GPU's, as I allways have owned Nvidia GPU's.
It's kind hard for me to dive in and pick one for you, but I can share what I have.

I own an Nvidia 1050 TI 4GB, which was a massive improvement compared to my previous GPU (which was a Nvidia GTS 450 :xtc_dance: ) so I really enjoy it :)
I do have laggs within Substance Painter (4k) but that probably has to do with my 2x 4GB RAM memory :icon_redface: I guess the GPU does a decent job, for now :P

There are better ones on the market in the meantime, some above your budget though. On the website of Nvidia it is mentioned that the Nvidia 1060 6GB costs $299,00 which is just within your budget. Here's a link: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/pr ... -gtx-1060/

But as you mentioned you're using AMD so far, I would like to see what other forum users would have to say who have AMD as well, to provide you with a better advice :enlightened:
ranula_cgartist

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi.

Thanks for recommending me Nvidia. Let me be honest, the AMD GPU I'm using at the moment is a gift from my brother. This I got to play games but making game props became an interest later. :enlightened:

I think a 1050 Ti or 1060 will be a good choice. Well, I have some problems with models. There are so many models rather than Nvidia like Asus, Gigabyte with name of 1050 Ti and 1060. How can I choose a model ? And is there any chance for me to get a 980Ti with my budget (I saw it's still a great GPU)? :thinking:
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Each retailer of Nvidia has their own cooling and overclocking. Some retailers are known for making really well overclocked GPUs (like EVGA, probably MSI) but you can compare for yourself by looking at the mhz of the individual card.

Some retailers are also known for really great cooling, none come to mind as I've had little interest in hardware as years of late, but again you can compare reviews or benchmarks with the cards.

One thing to note, back when the 900 series was coming out, the 700 series (which I had at the time) really dropped down in price, I think by about half. If you can find an older generation card for a cheap price it's probably far more worth it when it comes to performance to $$$ ratio. Though most are probably sold out or in a used condition.
I'd recommend something like a 1000 series too, as far as I'm aware they support more technologies and more often when it comes to gaming at least than an AMD card would. This includes stuff like nvidia expierence (an app that optimises your games based on your rig), shadowplay (allows you to capture video of your desktop/gaming, even save the past 20 minutes without having had recorded it, and also to stream your game/desktop with very little to none performance loss), as well as all the game goodies like PhysX, hairworks, great anti-aliasing and DSR (allows you play games in resolutions higher than your monitor, the image gets scaled down creating a nicer overall image).
More stuff here:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nvidia-t ... es-uk.html
I'm not an AMD user so I don't know what they have on their end, but I've been really satisfied by the stuff that comes out for Nvidia.

Which 1000 card I'd recommend I don't know, in my opinion its a one time purchase thing, and if you want to upgrade your card you not only lose the card you own, but pay even more than you originally paid. That said if its an option I'd say get the best card you can, maybe save up to get the next card higher up. Just my 2 cents.
Make love, not war.
Except for in games... everybody loves war in games. And love, yep, that too.

ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/siks
ranula_cgartist

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks a lot siks,

I would like to let go of my current AMD GPU and move on with a new GPU as I am more concerned about game art more than playing games. Well can I get to know which one is the minimum required GPU to work in 4K in Substance Painter? So I can save more money to get a better card if "the minimum's price" is not a fit for my budget, $300. :thinking:
siks
Site Admin
Location: Great United of Britania's Kingdom Long Live Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:21 pm

The allegorithmic website lists the GPU specs for minimum and recommended as just an amount of VRAM. So I guess the more VRAM you can get on your card the better, which newer and newer cards are getting way more of I'm assuming because of 4k and so on coming along.
I can't find anything on the GPU itself, just that the more VRAM the better, but the GPU still needs to do most of the calculations for look for the highest clock speed.

For that price range, there's the 1060 3GB and 1060 6GB. I live in the UK so looking on my sites the 3GB ones are roughly on and below your price range. The 6GB ones are mostly a bit above, but depending on the retailer they come fairly close to your price. You'd have to compare for yourself, but like I said VRAM is probably what you want to look out for more, an entire 3GB more could really make a huge difference.
Make love, not war.

ranula_cgartist

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 am

Thanks for your informative reply. It means a lot to me.

I found some great deals.. Here I will state them below.

Seal packed, brand new $195 final. https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphi ... 0-3gb#spec

1 year used $210. https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeFor ... cification

What will be the wisest decision ?

Thanks ! :)
siks
Site Admin

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:20 am

I'd say the 6GB one would be a better choice, though it's a whole year of use, it's only $15 more for not only double the VRAM but also slightly better clock speeds. You should still have another couple years of warranty (usually cards come with 3 years), so if anything happens in the meantime you can get a replacement. Not likely for anything bad to happen though if you don't overclock it yourself, and the cooler it stays the longer it can live.

Considering you found these for far lower than your budget, might be worthwhile to look around for a 1070 in your price range. Could find something if you're lucky. If not the MSI card is a great choice.
Make love, not war.

hi-man

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:12 pm

I have bought PALIT JetStream GTX 1060 6GB (Super JetStream is a better choise but they dont have it in stock when i wanted to buy it). So i recommend to buy nothing smaller than 6GB. I can work with 4k textures with it but at the end when project is big it slowes down a little bit so GTX1070 8GB would be a better choice.
As you can see even Marmoset eat almost 5Gb of VRAM :)
1.jpg
1.jpg (444.47 KiB) Viewed 952 times
Also it can handle any game at High and sometimes at Ultra even with my old FX6300 processor.

Here is my beauty :3
2.jpg
2.jpg (586.36 KiB) Viewed 952 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (391.5 KiB) Viewed 952 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (582.33 KiB) Viewed 952 times
ranula_cgartist

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:45 pm

siks wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:20 am
I'd say the 6GB one would be a better choice, though it's a whole year of use, it's only $15 more for not only double the VRAM but also slightly better clock speeds. You should still have another couple years of warranty (usually cards come with 3 years), so if anything happens in the meantime you can get a replacement. Not likely for anything bad to happen though if you don't overclock it yourself, and the cooler it stays the longer it can live.

Considering you found these for far lower than your budget, might be worthwhile to look around for a 1070 in your price range. Could find something if you're lucky. If not the MSI card is a great choice.
Yes Siks, I really love the way you explain stuff and you bring me lots of information. I like your recommendation. I like to go with a 6GB :) Well, still I have no luck at a 1070. But I think I will be able to find a decent 1070 in the upcoming week.

By th eway, I see lots of brands like Palit, Strix and so on.. I have no idea why cards come under different brands. They are very expensive. Any idea why these cards cost so much. ?

Thanks for everything ! :)